Railroad Forums 

• Clarendon & Pittsford 306 roof details

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1132738  by mtoney

I have a question on CLP #306's roof details. From video on youtube and pics there is something white in color centered on the cab roof behind the horn. Is this a radio antenna or a white strobe light. I am leaning toward an antenna as no other VTR engines have any extra lighting beyond head lighs/ditch lights. Looking at doing up a model of this engine soon but cant find a good close up picture of the roof details. Thanks Mike
 #1145784  by rovetherr

Bam.

It is a strobe light, I have never seen it work in the 10 years I have worked for the VTR.
 #1145803  by rovetherr

Here are a few more of an over-all roof shot, the one I posted before didn't come out too well, the lighting in the shop is not great, and they are cell phone pics to boot. Much easier to tell that it is a strobe light. Also, the fire cracker antennae for the EOT and the low profile radio antennae are visible as well. It used to have a whip antennae for the radio, but that , along with the rear number boards, kept getting broken at the Omya plant. Hence the sturdy antennae, and the metal grating over the rear boards.