Railroad Forums 

• PD&E - Sidell to Olney Segment

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#65223  by PD&EBuff

I am planning on surveying the abandoned line from Sidell to
Olney, Illinois. Not being able to find the kind detailed maps that
I needed (and probably not being able to afford them if I could
have), I decided to make my own. Using numerous maps and satellite
images, the following page links to what I have come up with:

http://thomasfrench.home.mchsi.com/AbandonedROW.htm

I would like those who are more familiar with the line to take a
look at these and see where I have gone astray. I'm also asking for
information regarding any remaining culverts, structures, rolling
stock(I know, I know), photos, people, museums, historical
societies, and the like that I should cover along the way. Any help
will appreciated by adding your name to Acknowledgment page, should
you approve.

Thanks In Advance,
Thomas French
Mattoon, Illinois

#65356  by CarterB

Thomas,
Map looks fairly accurate, quite hard to find remnants on flat land this long after abandonment.

My father and I use to go out tracking the Sidell & Olney on weekends in the 1950's. Hard even then to find much, though we did find some ROWs and evidence of road crossings or farm field 'bumps'

Here is a period map that while not closely topographical, at least gives the general route.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?g ... ammem_J18B::

If you look in local or county libraries, you may be able to find some old Colton maps or even better the Sanborn fire insurance maps which have great town details. I think Eastern Ill Univ may have some files/photos. http://www.iltrails.org has also quite a bit of RR info.

Is the old PD&E station at 421 S. 21st St. Mattoon still in existance?

Happy Hunting

#65387  by PD&EBuff

Thanks for the leads and taking the time to reply. I would like to ask if you have any helpful hints on finding old ROW from your time traipsing the line.

In talking to the current owners, Walker Construction, a month or two ago, I confirmed that the building was indeed the old PD&E depot and headquarters. However, in looking at it from the outside, and the lobby inside, you would be hard pressed to see anything that would lead you to think it is an old railroad depot. It has been remodeled several times over the years and thus has been changed dramatically. You can see some partial shots of it on the following page:

http://thomasfrench.home.mchsi.com/Imag ... oonROW.htm

Thanks,
Thomas

#65661  by CarterB

Thomas,
We used to drive on the East/West county roads from Sidell on South to about Westfield and look for embankments or 'humps" in the roads or fields adjacent and pretty much were able to find some of the ROW.

Also where there were creeks, Embarrass River, etc. find embankments or cuts. Even in the 1950s, you had to look hard, and really not much to see. Most of the farmers had leveled and plowed over the old ROW on their lands.

I seem to remember that a bit north of Hume and South to about Brocton, the ROW was more apparent. I think there was a cut SW of Hughes. There used to be some remains of abutments where it crossed over the Embarrass.

Carter

#156078  by CarterB

In the latter years, the "Yale Short Line" operated a "Doty" for high school students. Does anyone have photos of this or any other info?

#157091  by PD&EBuff

By “Doty”, I’m assuming you mean motor car. In my survey I decided to start at Kansas and work south first. I stopped by the Casey library to see if they had any information. They showed me what I term to be an unpublished 500 page manuscript about the line from Sidell to Olney. I contacted the author and purchased a copy. On page 454 there are two photos of the motor car. While the manuscript contains a wealth of information and I recommend anyone interested in the line getting a copy, it is homemade and therefore the printing of the photos is not the best. I would think the author, Roy C. Jackson, either has copies or knows where the original photos of the motor car are. I need to call him again, should I ask him about the photos?

An aside; according to the manuscript, the Yale Short Line was a last minute idea, being purchased from the scrapper. It relied on the Westfield and the Kansas and Sidell to operate it and never owned or leased any equipment. Though apparently one person took it upon himself, without proper authorization, to run that motor car over the line.

Thomas

#157171  by CarterB

Interesting info, thanks. I assume the 'motor car' was some kind of bus outfitted with guage wheels, a 'homemade' device?

Interesting also that the 'yale short line' was a sorta 'do it yourself' operation. When were the rails pulled up?

Is there any evidence of the ROW in Hume? or for that matter, north of Hume?

#157191  by PD&EBuff

According to the manuscript, the motor car came from a St. Louis company and was either the first motor car or first of that type to be produced by the company. The result was that it was overdue in getting to the railroad and when it did arrive, it was constantly breaking down.
The motor car looks a lot like "The Walton’s" family truck with about a nine seat cabin on the back. And in reality, was probably just a standard bus of the time equipped with wheels to run on the tracks.
The Yale to Casey portion was taken out by November of 1938. Not to toot my own horn<GRIN>, but that information is on my PD&E website. There is additional information about known railroad facilities and customers there as well. Look under the individual stations.

http://www.thepde.info/Stations/Yale.htm

Casey was as far as I got, as I wanted to go over that manuscript before going farther. But according to the chapter, The DO&OR by Automobile, the ROW North, through, and South of Hume is still pretty recognizable.

Thomas