Railroad Forums 

• Fostoria Iron Triangle question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#573855  by gp9fan

I am going to be in that area this weekend and thought I might be able to spend a little bit of time there. I have never been there and I am wondering if there is any time of the day that might be better than others especially for photography.
 #574071  by railohio

Photography is of course best anywhere in the early morning and late evening. Try to avoid the high sun anywhere you go.

Traffic in that area tends to be heaviest during those hours, luckily, and overnight. Many times Fostoria, Deshler, etc. will experience an afternoon lull. (Which is great for taking a nap when you've stayed up too late watching trains!) On the CSX Q351, Q393, Q165, Q109, and Q117 and generally reliable afternoon and evening westbounds this time of year. On Norfolk Southern the only reliable westbound in the afternoon or evening is 261. Eastbounds on the morning on CSX are pretty hit-and-miss, especially this far east. On Norfolk Southern, however, 218 and 234 are candidates to see in good light.

Good luck!
 #574288  by dti407

Q164 and Q136 are the two reliable morning eastbounds on the CSX side. Q164 is mostly double stacks, and Q136 is mostly single stacks. Both trains run every day.