Railroad Forums 

• Need help identifying Baltimore & Annapolis RR Station

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1029325  by bmoretrain

Hey everyone,

I am trying to identify what Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad Station is in the photo I have linked too below. I believe that the tunnel that is pictured is the one that is near the Annapolis Road exit on the Baltimore and Washington Parkway. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/SXD7Y.jpg
 #1029777  by Sand Box John

"bmoretrain"
I am trying to identify what Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad Station is in the photo I have linked too below. I believe that the tunnel that is pictured is the one that is near the Annapolis Road exit on the Baltimore and Washington Parkway. Any help would be really appreciated.

I can't tell you where it is, however your assumption that it near Annapolis Road and the Baltimore and Washington Parkway way off. The B&ARR entered Washington at what is now Martin Luther King Jr Highway and Eastern Avenue. It crossed Annapolis Road east of Lanham-SeaBrook between Forbes Boulevard and Glendale Road. The the right of Martin Luther King Jr Highway is the former right of way of the B&ARR.
 #1031425  by polybalt

bmoretrain wrote:Also I believe the picture was taken around 1936-1950. You can see a Texaco sign in the picture and the year they started using that design was 1936. The B&A ran until 1950.
The picture was probably taken in 1947 or earlier. The trolley wire visible above and to the right was the loop for the #17 streetcar line of Baltimore transit, which was abandoned in June, 1947

The streetcar loop is in the Baltimore City community of Westport. I checked an old offical guide and the only WB&A station near Westport is Westport, so that must be it. The Light Rail Westport stop is north and east of this location along the old Annapolis Short Line right-of-way. (The B&A used the ASL alignment south of Linthicum, but the WB&A north of there to Clifford's, including at Westport, then trackage rights on the B&O into Camden Station)
 #1032169  by mmi16

polybalt wrote:
bmoretrain wrote:Also I believe the picture was taken around 1936-1950. You can see a Texaco sign in the picture and the year they started using that design was 1936. The B&A ran until 1950.
The picture was probably taken in 1947 or earlier. The trolley wire visible above and to the right was the loop for the #17 streetcar line of Baltimore transit, which was abandoned in June, 1947

The streetcar loop is in the Baltimore City community of Westport. I checked an old offical guide and the only WB&A station near Westport is Westport, so that must be it. The Light Rail Westport stop is north and east of this location along the old Annapolis Short Line right-of-way. (The B&A used the ASL alignment south of Linthicum, but the WB&A north of there to Clifford's, including at Westport, then trackage rights on the B&O into Camden Station)
If the #17 trolley line was abandoned in 1947 this would have to be after that - in the picture one can still see the switch ties for a switch branching off the existing track to the left toward the road that parallels the railroad, in fact the frog for the switch is still in place for some reason - probably owned by the B&A.
 #1046030  by R,N, Nelson

The station is at Westport, looking north. The track through the tunnels (there were two)and beyond to the B&O's South Baltimore Branch, was single tracked in 1935. This was primarily to give a wider clearance in the tunnels in order to permit B&O specials to Annapolis. The specials to Army- Navy games (Annapolis to Philadelphia) were the big ones. Also for a brief period in 1935 and 1936, specials to Bowie Racetrack, when operated by the B&O, operated through the tunnels.

From 1935 to 1950, B&A passenger trains continued on, with a connecting track to the B&O's South Baltimore Branch called Carrolls Jct, and then used the south siding of the B&O main, crossing over to the north side near Camden Station. This ended in February, 1950 when replaced by buses, with only B&A freight service remaining, which always interchanged with the B&O at Cliffords (actually at Baltimore Highlands on the B&A).

Prior to the end of the WB&A, this portion at Westport was double tracked, with no connection to the B&O at Carrolls Jct. The tunnel clearance was very tight, in fact, even some WB&A trailers were too wide. Prior to 1935, specials for Annapolis from both the B&O and PRR, used the WB&A's South Shore Division from Annapolis Jct and Odenton respectively, which when abandoned in 1935, required the modification at Westport and the building of the connecting track at Carrolls Jct.

The short siding off of the southbound track at Westrport was primarly used for M of W equipment when serving the tunnels.

Norman
 #1403181  by Nhrp5

I was reading the answer supplied by Norman. And he is absolutely right I live a couple of blocks from this old tunnel. The tunnel still remains it was walled up and doored by the city for storage but I believe they don't use it anymore. There is a couple of books on this line both out of print. Luckily I have both. The first one is The Baltimore Light Rail Then and Now. In this book it does show some old pictures of The Northern Central and The B&A and WB&A. The second I just purchased I got a deal on Amazon but this book does run over $100.00. But it is worth it. It is called Every Hour on the Hour. It is on the history of the B&A and WB&A lines. So any one interested in the history and photographs check them out. There was things I never knew about the lines. do these 2 should also answer any questions.