Railroad Forums 

• GMD1

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1242944  by NS59

Heard of a GMD1 still working in the Hamilton, ON area. I would like to get some video and images of this unit. Anyone know what local is usually assigned this unit, where it goes, what days it runs, etc.

Thanks,

Dave
 #1261607  by tjflynn

Not sure of the exact times of operations, but several GMD1s have been working in the Hamilton area over the past while. Saw three of them as I drove by Aldershot on Friday, March 15 at about 1700 (two on one train, one MUed with a Geep). They seem to work Train 551 Oakville-Aldershot, and on some transfers to Hamilton (555?). Earlier in the day, they can be seen working the west end of Oakville yard.
 #1261891  by NS59

Thank you for the info, I plan on making the trip up from the states in the next month or so just to catch them. Any other info you may come by would help also.
Once again, thank you!

Dave
 #1261964  by MACTRAXX

TJF and NS59: Interesting news about CN GMD1s in the HML area...Just curious: Are they the types
with the A1A trucks? Does anyone have an idea how many GMD1s are remaining in eastern Canada?

MACTRAXX
 #1310444  by BCRSD766

They used to have the A-1-A trucks, in the late 80's to early 90's CN and Pointe St. Charles shops did some rebuilds and upgrades to the GMD-1's. They were upgraded using B-B trucks from scrapped GP9's. If you go to Cuba they have a number of GMD-1' s with B-B/A-1-A like the old Fairbanks Morse/CLC units.