Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #920507  by JMBethpage

An interesting development in the track renovation work. I went back to explore further north along the westernmost part of the siding and found that a new switch is being installed. This switch is in the northbound section of the more western of the two sub-sidings. As far as I can tell, this is the first deviation from the old track plan. These creates a third terminus for the spur within EPCAL.

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b42 ... 08%202011/
 #920695  by tahawus84

Nice find. Was over there checking things out 15 mins ago and they havent done anything lately. They did have 3 brand new switch stands out there during the summer so I am wondering if there will be 3 sidings? Will be nice to see how the spur ends up.
 #922843  by peanut1

How much freight activity has there been and is there any other Freight railroad besides NYA {CSX, NS or CP, etc] that might consider coming out to Calverton?
 #922902  by tahawus84

No activity yet as it is not finished. Doubt any other rr's will come out or will be allowed to come out there. Not really all that much traffic for calverton though the brookhaven project is much bigger and it any railroads would come out east I think they would be coming out for Brookhaven. But I dont think it will ever happen due to special equipped engines needed as well as trackage rights issues.
 #923030  by workextra

There would be no need for another carrier to come out to LI. You have NYAR who receives interchange from the other carriers.
NYAR alone would be reluctant to allow another carrier to pounce on their turf. They have a Monopoly on LI freight the same as LIRR did, and LIRR is not a threat as far as competition goes.
How ever if LIRR did agree to trackage rights with say for argument sake CSX, It would be an almost unfair competition with NYAR at the Loosing end.
If a class one would do anything on long Island it would be picking up their cars from brooklyn via the floats and shipping them to Oak Point. And unless there's a major traffic increase and profit involved I don't see that happening.
That leaves me to ask why CSX or whomever has never abolished the OP-FP jobs and allow NYAR to handle that.

What kind of businesses are going to be at Calverton? Just a fuel oil distributed or multiple customers? Will there be a team track or 2 laid for off line customers? The photos posted shows just the old route relaid.
 #934927  by tahawus84

Anyone hear anything on this? All news articles were saying things should be up and running by 2011 and its almost june... RRC still has all equipment on site and nothings moved in months. The stone hoppers are still sitting parked empty on the spur. Seems something happened to stall this project temporarily anyone know what? Eastern fence could get service right now if all the parked equipment was moved. The seemed to be moving along so quick in the beginning...
 #940284  by KEN PATRICK

it's sad that the public sector doesn't understand railroad pricing, costs and history. remember the lirr rail bogies? field of dreams rail investments should not be done absent knowing who the prospects are and how much they will pay for rail. the ny&a has 3 years in which to state they will renew their freight exclusive. unfortunately, nya cannot meet the contractual hurdles for renewal. who will bid and at what revenue needs per car? perhaps a return to lirr? i don't see csxt bidding. ns is not a factor. floating from new jersey is not economic.
the pine barrens 'license fees' need to be offset by reductions in real estate taxes. rail rates per car published.
railroads are excellent with high weights and small cubes materials, awful in intermodal.
this project needs advanced thinking. ken patrick
 #947381  by tahawus84

Saw a Railroad Construction Truck out in Riverhead today. Wonder if they are working on this again or just checking on their equipment? I dont get the issue about the pine barrens. I tracked the old line on google earth and the new line retraces where the old one was. So basically they just fixed something that was already there.
 #953767  by Sir Ray

tahawus84 wrote:I dont get the issue about the pine barrens. I tracked the old line on google earth and the new line retraces where the old one was. So basically they just fixed something that was already there.
OK, I see the old link to the Pine Barren Credit article is now kaput, so to summarize:
It is not that the ROW and Calverton are undisturbed, native land (unlike, for example, that pristine Pilgrim State siding forest), its that when the Pine Barrens (PB) were first protected by the State in the mid-1990s, not all land in the 'Core' undeveloped area was purchased by the state - apparently 200+ acres were still owned by private owners. To compensate these owners for loss of development rights to their land (and eventually buy them out), a 'Pine Barren Credits' system was implemented, where developers of land outside of the core PB area could buy these credits to increase the density of development on their property (much like Air-Rights in dense urban areas) - the money from the PB credits would go into a fund to compensate the owners of the undevelopable PB land.
However, the Suffolk towns involved in this PB commission were apparently just granting increased density zoning rights while waiving the need to buy the Credits - which defeated the whole purpose of the PB Credit system.
Now, to compensate, they want to force developers to use PB credits, and also in in-effect increase the price of the credits by 15% - this especially affects the Calverton (EPCAL) property, as it will make purchasing land more expensive, just the opposite of what is needed to attract industry and commerce (and rail-freight customers) to EPCAL. Hence the problem.

I did not find any follow up articles - did this PBC revision plan get shelved?