Railroad Forums 

• M&E Locomtives Operating on NJT Rails

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#307715  by CGRLCDR

A couple of days ago I saw two M&E locomotives rolling through Chatham at a pretty good clip (probably 50+ MPH) heading east. I've seen this before from time to time, but I was wondering; does the M&E use NJT pilots or are their crews checked out to operate in NJT territory? If the crews are checked out by NJT, what's the checkout procedure and how is it done? I presume that they were moving rapidly so not as to interfere with NJT traffic.

The reason I ask is because a few years ago I visited the Sacremento Rail Museum in California and spoke to one crew who bought a steam locomotive down from Washington State. Then explained that everytime they crossed into another railroad's territory they had to pick a pilot who knew the rules, radio frequencies, etc, for operating in that area. I'm guessing that the M&E probably needs pilots in NS, Amtrack, and Susquanna areas, but probably not just to shuttle freight cars on the Morris and Essex Line.

#307733  by Sirsonic

M&E crews are qualified to run their own freight trains and non-revenue moves of passenger equipment. Their qualifications are from Chester Jct (the crews may be qualified to Morris Jct, the next interlocking) to Hoboken. They are also qualified in the MMC.

While they have trackage rights on the Bergen County Line to BT (to connect to the NYS&W) I do not know of them exercising those rights any time in the recent past. Rules require that an engineer run a train over the territory he is to remain qualified on, so unless they have made a trip in the last 12 months, they would need a pilot or to re-qualify.

In order to operate on any other NJT line, any other railroads tracks, or a revenue passenger train on NJT, as well as east of West End Interlocking for some reason, they would require the services of a pilot crew.

#308221  by Rail Liner

M&E crews can run the whole morristown line by them selves without njt crews.

#308445  by Sirsonic

Unless there has been a recent change, although ME crews were qualified into Hoboken, NJT required them to have a pilot to operate east of West End. Why this is I do not know. This is not too much a problem as the only time the M&E brought equipment into Hoboken that didn't need a pilot for other reasons (a passenger train for example) was for the Hoboken Festival.

Also, for what its worth, ME 18 is in Hoboken for wheel work. The M&E dropped it off in the MMC to be delivered to Hoboken.