Railroad Forums 

• Visitor or new acquisition?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#259844  by RS115

Last evening I took a ride by the interchange at Lake Junction. Sitting on the short track laid last year tied to a gondola of scrap was FURX 1179 a GP-??. Unit was shut down.

Anyone know what it was doing there?
 #259999  by RAHWAY VALLEY

The FURX 1179 is currently on lease to Norfolk Southern, and has been assigned to the H-02. It's been parked at Lake Junction for the past few days.

#260335  by RS115

Interesting - wonder why they're keeping it there instead of their usual Dover location.
 #260545  by njt4172

RAHWAY VALLEY wrote:The FURX 1179 is currently on lease to Norfolk Southern, and has been assigned to the H-02. It's been parked at Lake Junction for the past few days.
On my way to work today I noticed the FURX unit was back in East Dover yard! NS is using the 5638..

#260843  by Al Holleuffer

NS H-02 has been using FURX 1179 for the past couple of weeks but it lacks cabsignal equipment therefor it can't lead east of CP COOK at Hackettstown. NS has been borrowing M&E 20 frequently over that past few weeks becasue of this problem. On one occasion about two weeks ago they took M&E 20 west to Washington and the M&E crew used FURX 1179 to service the High Bridge and Chester breanches while they were gone.

#261009  by njt4172

Al Holleuffer wrote:NS H-02 has been using FURX 1179 for the past couple of weeks but it lacks cabsignal equipment therefor it can't lead east of CP COOK at Hackettstown. NS has been borrowing M&E 20 frequently over that past few weeks becasue of this problem. On one occasion about two weeks ago they took M&E 20 west to Washington and the M&E crew used FURX 1179 to service the High Bridge and Chester breanches while they were gone.
Thanks Al... Good report! It seems like NS doesn't use their head... Either that or they just don't have enough cab signal equipped units... I remember in the Conrail days they would assign the same 2 engines for months on end! NS seems to switch engines every 3 weeks or so. It makes for some interesting photography, but it must be very hard on the crew!

#262012  by oibu

Most of the time under CR they swapped out units on a weekly basis. AL-18 would take teh power to Allentown on Fri. afternoon, it would get sevriced/fueled, and then on Sunday a new set of power would come in to spend the week running out of Dover- usually it wasn't the same set that left on Friday, but sometimes I'm sure it was just by coincidence.

#266701  by NorfolkSouthernSean

I was up in Dover today. The 1179 is on the siding East of the yard and Norfolk Southern GP38-2 rebuild 5638 was sitting near the Yard Office along with the red Conrail caboose.