Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2008

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#502599  by GOLDEN-ARM

It's not so hard. Three guys, two with a 5 gallon bucket of Turtle wax car wash, and scrub brushes on broomsticks. Start on the roof, one guy wets the loco, other two scrub. Do the roof, then the carbody, cab and nose. Jumbo sponges help on the carbody and cab. Finish off the tanks, end with the trucks. Easily finished in under an hour, and left to air dry. We did them on a somewhat regular basis, and did trucks and underframes whenever they got especially dirty, even if we didn't do the entire loco. One day, after washing the 17, I "accidentally" washed a corner of the EL Diesel Training Car, that was at the shops, showing the guys I was with, how good the grey looked, once you washed and waxed away the chalking of the paint. Ben saw it, and decided the whole car would look good, washed and waxed! For some bizarre reason, I was "accidentally" drenched, by the guy with the hose. Seems he was planning on going home when we got finished with the loco, or something silly like that.............. :P
 #508219  by gravelyfan

Saw the M&E 18 pulling 1 tank car west over the Passaic River in Newark today around noon time.

#512174  by Btkspot89

18 went Eastbound today hauling 563 and a boxcar. This would be around 2:53pm and it was just passing by Mount Tabor. I think I heard it on the scanner before hand.

#512402  by denvillerailfan

Btkspot89 wrote:18 went Eastbound today hauling 563 and a boxcar. This would be around 2:53pm and it was just passing by Mount Tabor. I think I heard it on the scanner before hand.
Awe man... Wish I heard that. I guess I was <gulp> working??? wow I never heard. Could have easily been down at that time/
I did here the AM run westbound asking permission from Dover to Chester Jct.

#512521  by kpiersol

#18 eastbound through Convent Station about 12:30ish (3/7/2008) with PV M&E "Penobscot(?)" and L&N "Ohio River."

#512561  by Tri-State Tom

Dang !

Reported on the NJ site that I saw 18 and these 2 head WEST from Morristown around 11:30.

Obviously got turned on the Denville wye and came EAST.

Someday I'll catch something on that wye !!

#513406  by jhdeasy

Private cars OHIO RIVER and PENOBSCOT BAY traveled from NYP to WAS on Amtrak # 91, The Silver Star, on Monday March 10th.

They will be participating in AAPRCO's Railroad Industry reception at Washington Union Station on evening of March 12th, followed by "Railroad Day on Capital Hill" lobbying events of March 13th.

PENOBSCOT BAY is a former Amtrak food service car of ATSF ancestry built by Budd, recently refurbished at M&E shop.

#513640  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sorry, I got lost here. How do these car reports add to the diesel doings thread?...........

#513648  by kpiersol

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Sorry, I got lost here. How do these car reports add to the diesel doings thread?...........
Sorry to lose you, but they did start out behind #18 here...perhaps you, as co-moderator, could enlighten us all on the thread applicability rules.

#514216  by Btkspot89

18 went westbound today pulling a boxcar as well as a chemical car this morning would be around 8:37am and it was just passing Mt. Tabor Station. I should be heading to the yard again today but nothing much has moved since I last was there. 7205 and 7210 are both sitting on track 3 waiting for new owners maybe? 19 might be in the shop but since it has still been chilly outside it is hard to tell because they keep those doors closed!!! Ohh well thats all I know. More to come when I drop by. :-)

#514496  by GOLDEN-ARM

No need for "enlightenment". The thread is titled "diesel doings". It was started to discuss locomotives, and what was going on with them, at Mo'town. Somehow, it's become a " I saw a tank car" clearinghouse, for every single happening on the railroad. If you want to run another thread, relating to train movements, maybe we should just start another one. (look up 4 posts from here, and explain how that posting has anything to do with a diesel? Pax moves on Amtrack don't even relate to the M&E. Oops, it was refurbished at the M&E) Them Jersey guys got a thread, relating to movements on specific lines, and it seems to be what's happened to this. (it works great over there, BTW :wink: ) As a "diesel guy" myself, I would be interested in hearing your actual diesel reporting, not another "I saw a tank car"......... :-D Regards

#514832  by RS115

Busy Friday on the M&E. In addition to 18 working Chester/High Bridge (see other thread for great pics), the Whippany line was active. First 563 went east fairly early in the morning with one of the M&E gray passenger cars and returned west shoving ex-Washington Terminal SW-1 738 - apparently right into the shop as it wasn't visible when I went by Morristown after work.

Later in the morning 19 came east with 3 tanks. Didn't catch his return.

At Morristown 7205 and 7210 have been split and are on Tracks 4 & 5 - they and the hack were the only things outside so I guess they pulled everything in for the weekend as the parking lot was empty.

#515063  by blockline4180

So I guess the 20 is back down in Linden?? It was in Morristown for a few months recently, I thought.

#515677  by jhdeasy

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:No need for "enlightenment". The thread is titled "diesel doings". It was started to discuss locomotives, and what was going on with them, at Mo'town. Somehow, it's become a " I saw a tank car" clearinghouse, for every single happening on the railroad. If you want to run another thread, relating to train movements, maybe we should just start another one. (look up 4 posts from here, and explain how that posting has anything to do with a diesel? Pax moves on Amtrack don't even relate to the M&E. Oops, it was refurbished at the M&E) Them Jersey guys got a thread, relating to movements on specific lines, and it seems to be what's happened to this. (it works great over there, BTW :wink: ) As a "diesel guy" myself, I would be interested in hearing your actual diesel reporting, not another "I saw a tank car"......... :-D Regards

Well I must admit I am the guilty party who "contaminated" the Diesel Doings thread with some information about 2 private cars OWNED by M&E Railway.

I mentioned the Amtrak move of the 2 PVs because that was the reason the M&E locomotive was moving those 2 cars from Morristown down to NJ Transit's MMC, for forwarding to Amtrak at Hudson interlocking. I also provided more info on PENOBSCOT BAY since the original poster was uncertain as to the car's name. This is a very nice cafe-lounge car, which was just finished in time for the events in Washington DC, and which Gordon Fuller says will be assigned to the Maine Eastern.

I assumed some folks here would like to know that info (connecting the dots, so to speak), and this seemed to be the logical place to post it, but it appears I was wrong. My apologies!

Jack Deasy
General Manger
Dominion Rail Voyages, LLC
MOUNT VERNON (PPCX 800708)