Railroad Forums 

• High Bridge Branch Rehab

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#14849  by njtransitrookie

Looks as though the HB branch is going to get some rehab starting with the
switch off the Chester branch. Many bundles of ties as well as pallets of spikes. It's the portion of the line that ends at the team track in Kenvil. I would assume that it's being done by the M&E and not RR construction. The M&E has a rather large mountain of ties at the team track which looks like it could finish the whole branch.

#14910  by Ken W2KB

Good news, if that's what's to happen. I ran my speeder on it a couple years ago and there were some sections with a very rough ride as I recall. Now if they could "rehab" it all the way to High Bridge. :wink:

#14979  by NJTRailfan

I would love for the HB Line to be 100% restored. But if there is going to be an extension I don't think it would go past Long Hill or some town like that after Bartley due to that gas main further up along the old ROW and Columbia trail taking over a good portion of the HB.

#15598  by njtransitrookie

Was by Righter road in Roxbury where the HB runs buy Home Depot. Looks like the whole line will get a rehab as there are ties as far as you can see. Look forward to some action.

#15989  by NJTRailfan

I doo see the whole line bein rehabed. I hope the speeds pick up as well. I'd love for them to speed the trains up another 10-15 mph.

The only 2 things preventing the M&E from doing a full restoration of the HB is that gas line sitting just off the ROW after Long Hill(I think that's the town's name) and that hiking trail the two towns after that.

I would've loved it if the M&E could buy and run a Bud car or 2 up and down the line every Saturday and Sunday for lunch/dinner trains.

#16227  by Angus202

about time this happened, when the line had its last rehabed (paid for by fresh air funds from the state) it was built for 40MPH. Even though this is the nicest track the M&E runs on, I think they're down to 25MPH from the lack of maintenance. Hopefully the current (last several years) speed resistrictions will be lifted, now all they need to do is get the stretch from chester jct. to ferro monte jct. upgraded from the pete moss ties and 90lb twig rail and it wont take 4+ hours to get to toys-r-us and back.

-Ryan

#16418  by cjvrr

NJTRailfan Wrote;
The only 2 things preventing the M&E from doing a full restoration of the HB is that gas line sitting just off the ROW after Long Hill(I think that's the town's name) and that hiking trail the two towns after that.
Much more than that...

(3) no customers, nor potential for any south of the current terminus;

(4) M&E doesn't own the rail line, the County of Morris does. The property south of Bartley Road is owned by the gas company, which has an agreement with the County of Morris for the trail. The trail has not yet been formally established though.

(5) no reason to connect to the old CNJ line in High Bridge. M&E already gets their freight cars from NS in Roxbury. The CNJ line west of High Bridge is out of service.

The Town south of the end of the line is Washington Township, but I think you are refering to the Long Valley section of that town. Long Hill is on the southeastern end of Morris County.

There were two facilities in the center of Long Valley, Welsh Farms and the steel truss manufacturer. I know Welsh Farms is gone, I am unsure about the steel company. I seriously doubt the historic minded people of Long Valley will allow any other manufacturing facility to come into town, let alone a railroad. Heck they don't even want any more houses being built in town.

The gas line runs from Bartley Road, just south of the end of track, all the way to High Bridge, so the line couldn't be expanded, without a relocation of the gas line.

Glad to see the existing line being maintained.

Chris

#16466  by njtransitrookie

Well, that about does it ! At least we can get excited by some new ties and ballast.

#17212  by njtransitrookie

Went by the HB branch tonight near Kenvil and it's full steam ahead with the rehab. 9 Pcs. of track equipment (M&E) looks quite impressive for a shortline. I will update again at the end of the week.

#17331  by njt4172

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad the elevator facility in Randolph doesn't receive rail service anymore. The Chester Branch doesn't have any customers past Route 10, but I do hear M&E is looking for new customers in that area . My father's customer Rockaway Bedding has a new facility adjacent to the branch that could also receive a new spur......

#17498  by njtransitrookie

The Chester Branch really is a mess! Starting with Lake Junction many ties are the "Peat Moss" variety and many fish plates are missing. I figured they would start at this point but the work has started at Ferromont Junction. I walked the whole Chester branch 2 weeks ago to Schindler elevator in Randolph next to the old Wickes Lumber. It would seem that some of the businesses in that industrial park could receive rail service. Like Rockaway bedding and Schindler. On this part of the branch you notice the old Lackawanna screw type spikes and many hollowed ties. I think the M&E and Frank Reilly should try to develop more business if possible in this growing industrial park.

#17499  by njtransitrookie

The Chester Branch really is a mess! Starting with Lake Junction many ties are the "Peat Moss" variety and many fish plates are missing. I figured they would start at this point but the work has started at Ferromont Junction. I walked the whole Chester branch 2 weeks ago to Schindler elevator in Randolph next to the old Wickes Lumber. It would seem that some of the businesses in that industrial park could receive rail service. Like Rockaway bedding and Schindler. On this part of the branch you notice the old Lackawanna screw type spikes and many hollowed ties. I think the M&E and Frank Reilly should try to develop more business if possible in this growing industrial park.

#19114  by njtransitrookie

The project looks complete ! No ballast added though. Thank the good lord for grant money.