Railroad Forums 

• #430 and #424 to Service on WNYP line.

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#199044  by railwatcher

#430 and #424 will be heading to the WNYP line on Tuesday according to reports. LAL#424 and WNYP 426 are intended to be stationed at Meadeille Pa yard. While #430 will remain a Faulkner based engine.

If you get to see them enroute, you will note the Elephant style lash up to have the units facing properly when they reach their proper destinations.

Does this mean that the Northbound LAL train on Tuesday will be a 4 engine move, or will these be separte movements?

Greg

#199050  by Aji-tater

"Meadeville"? "Faulkner"? Thanks for the information but you might want to check your spelling of WNYP stations.

#199058  by railwatcher

My apologies on the spelling I do that to Falconer all the time, and worst yet, I know better. Thanks, I must have been in a post Christmas haze.

At least you have been informed.

Greg

#199076  by Aji-tater

That's all right - this time of year will fry anybody's brain. Wait until the credit card bills arrive, we'll all be incoherent.

Any details on what their route will be? The usual LA&L to the R&S, then NS to Hornell?

#199185  by scottychaos

thanks for the heads-up Greg! :P
its 9:00AM Tuesday morning, I have the day off, and im going out looking for them! :P

Scot
 #199207  by railwatcher

#430 and #424 were through Avon, NY this morning at 9:45 am, it was a Kodak moment!

Heads up to the North! Heads up to the West! and Heads up to the South!

They're on their way to their new homes!

Greg

#199290  by scottychaos

well I had bad luck today apparently! :(
I left the house at 9:00 (nearly downtown Rochester)
headed down Scottsville road first, slowed down and looked both ways as I crossed the LAL/CSX tracks at the River...nothing.
I can tell there are only tank cars sitting at the junction.
LAL hadnt been there yet.
swung over behind Southtown plaza..nothing.
drove down river road, pacing the LAL tracks,
stopped by the museum at Industry..nothing.
kept going to Avon..nothing.
I dont remember exactly what time I was in Avon..but it must have been 15 minutes plus or minus 9:45..
I assumed the train hadnt come through Avon yet..thought I had plenty of time to catch it back up in Rochester..
so I headed over to Retsof..nothing going on on the G&W.
down to Mount Morris...photographed the MM DL&W station!
(finally) (the only sucessfull railfanning of the day it turns out.)
hopped on 390, swung into Lakeville yard..nothing there.
BACK to Avon..still nothing there..followed the tracks back up to Rochester..
went up to Genesee Junction..I think its Noon by now.
walked down the PRR..hung out at the junction for awhile..
no LAL train..and no locomotives at the junction.
I heard a train whistling for crossings on the R&S..thought it might be the LAL heading *back* to the junction..but then I heard it whistling much further south..must have been a R&S train heading south..
last stop, over to Brooks ave yard..nothing there.

probably about 2:00 I gave up...bummer.
CSX must have picked up the locomotives right away!
sometime between 10am and noon it happened at Genesee junction..
I was there right before, and I was there right after..

I have been railfanning since 1983..
today is the first time I have ever wanted a scanner! :wink:

alas...

Scot
 #199380  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:#430 and #424 were through Avon, NY this morning at 9:45 am, it was a Kodak moment!

Heads up to the North! Heads up to the West! and Heads up to the South!

They're on their way to their new homes!

Greg
So uh, what's left for the LAL at home in terms of road engines?

S2 #72 should still be there as should #20 the RS1...But what about road engines?

Are they going to use 420 all alone? or will it be tied to one of the ex-MEC/Guilford units?
 #199434  by scottychaos

lutherkb wrote:

S2 #72 should still be there as should #20 the RS1...But what about road engines?

Are they going to use 420 all alone? or will it be tied to one of the ex-MEC/Guilford units?
425 is still in Avon.
she was out of service most of the year, but reports said she is simply "stored servicable"..perhaps the new LAL road set will become 420 and 425.

Here are Greg's pics of 424 amd 430 rolling through Avon today..
thanks Greg! :P

Scot

#199445  by BR&P

How did the power move? I heard usually they go down the R&S to Silver Springs then NS to the WNYP. If that is what they did today Scot probably heard the very train he was after as it went south on the R&S!

#199450  by scottychaos

BR&P wrote:How did the power move? I heard usually they go down the R&S to Silver Springs then NS to the WNYP. If that is what they did today Scot probably heard the very train he was after as it went south on the R&S!
thats very possible!
I didnt even think that the Alcos might go immediately to Brooks ave yard..
for some reason, I was thinking the engines would sit at Genesee Junction to be picked up by CSX to move west..why I thought that im not sure..
probably because the last time engines went TO Lakeville, they were dropped off at GJ to be picked up by LAL..
I never thought of the "hand off" of units happening at Brooks ave yard...
I was expecting to find the 2 units sitting alone at GJ, always thought that was where transfers would occur..
I was thinking I had LOTS of time before the units would be picked up by CSX...it never crossed my mind that CSX might not even be involved at all!

hmmmm..
good to know for next time! :wink:
now I just have to make a trip over to Falconer to find 430 there!
I havnt actually seen her in person yet in her new colors..

Scot

#199454  by railwatcher

I believe that the LAL has trackage rights for the R & S to Silver Springs. Then with assistance from NS they would get to Hornell down the Buffalo Line over the Letchworth Bridge (that would have been my next choice for camera shots today) and on to Hornell.

Greg
 #200126  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:
lutherkb wrote:

425 is still in Avon.
she was out of service most of the year, but reports said she is simply "stored servicable"..perhaps the new LAL road set will become 420 and 425.

Scot
425 in Avon? Last I heard, 425 was in the Lakeville shops for some traction motor work. THe LAL certainly works quickly. Good to hear. Although I wish 424 had stayed.

In my eyes, I would have liked to see them keep 424 and 425 in Lakeville and send 420 and 430 out to WNYP services.

#200156  by scottychaos

opps..sorry, I meant Lakeville, not Avon for 425.
I must have had "Avon on the brain" that day! :wink:

Yes, 425 was OOS for almost all of 2005.
She was stored behind the shops for several months, then was moved into the shops, where I believe she currently resides.

more detail on 425 can be seen here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14580

Scot