Railroad Forums 

• GVT office move / NYC roundhouse purchase

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#448137  by nessman

From GVT's "MySpace" page:
We've moved our company headquarters to the offices adjacent to the old NYC main off Evans ST. in downtown Batavia. Nice new offices, right next to our own tracks. We also purchased the old NYC Roundhouse that sits back from the road on the North side of the tracks, with future plans to restore it to it's original appearance, including an engine bay with an inspection pit. Hopefully this will see a track by winter, when a cold start is out of the question. It it quite the little GVT City over that way now! In general, we ask that everybody stay clear of the Roundhouse area as we have had issues with local hooligans breaking windows and causing mayhem. Soon enough things wil be up to speed and it will be a secure area, and I'm sure tours of this spacious facility would not be out of the question! It's becoming quite the year for railroading in Western NY!
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... &encType=1

#448859  by bwparker1

In general, how does GVT manage all of their operations? By far, the DL in Scranton, PA is the biggest show, but corporate offices are in Batavia. What sort of Management are on the ground in Scranton? Just curious.

Brooks

#449662  by thebigham

Thanks for the great news!

#460642  by tellu_whut

bwparker1 wrote:In general, how does GVT manage all of their operations? By far, the DL in Scranton, PA is the biggest show, but corporate offices are in Batavia. What sort of Management are on the ground in Scranton? Just curious.

Brooks
Management in Scranton deals with dispatching at Bridge 60 tower in the Steamtown yard. This is dispatching for all of their NY state lines, the PA lines and the various tourist trains on their routes. Some sales and crew calling is done from this office too. The engine shops in South Scranton do heavy repairs, light inspections, and painting of the locos. I imagine Batavia is more of a corporate HQ, and Scranton is an operational HQ, but that is just my leap of logic.

A big surprise for me yesterday was the return after a few years of C425 no. 2452. This is the "other" EL painted locomotive, along with 2461. They were even mated up back to back when I looked. Neat.

#474678  by WNYP431

New track to the enginehouse is almost there.....rehabbed engine pit......this place'll be real nice. Many former NYC concrete slabs were unearthed in this project, including the original ashpit, water standpipe foundation, and turntable.

Work is progressing.

#474681  by Challenger3985

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

#478385  by Nathan M3

Early this afternoon trackwork was compleated into the roundhouse in Batavia. At about 3pm the 1801 placed the 1044 inside. So the old NYC roundhouse is once again housing a locomotive. Great job by the GVT track gang.

#478447  by Lehighton_Man

got any pictures?
Love to see what they've done.
Cheers,
Sean

#478619  by thebigham

Thanks, Nathan!

#478660  by Otto Vondrak

Is the 1044 resting on the rails that were already in the roundhouse, or were new rails temporarily laid on top of the concrete floor?

I'm sure it goes without saying that we shouldn't try to visit the site ourselves while all the work is going on, right?

#478799  by Challenger3985

I should take a glimpse at it tomorrow :-D

#478814  by Nathan M3

After the NYC departed from the roundhouse the pits were filled in and a new floor was poured. The buildinghoused a machine shop for many years.

GVT had a contractor cut the floor and digout the pit at the same time making it longer. New concrete was poured on top of the stone walls and across the ends. 4"x8" oak timbers were placed on the concrete and rails were bolted to them. Shortly, more concrete will be poured to fill in the area between the old floor and rails.

Trying to see it now is not recomended. There is either no one there and building locked up or lots going on. Work times depend on manpower availability, contractor scheduling and the weather. Switches still need to be swept and other maintenance done.

Management may consider tours after work is done, not now.

#479086  by Otto Vondrak

Wow, interesting stuff. This is going to be a neat facility for the GVT. I'm sure when the appropriate time (and warmer weather arrive) there will be some open house of some sort. In the meantime, we should probably remain a respectful distance... and not sour our relationship with this historically friendly road.

-otto-

#479406  by Challenger3985

Agreed.

Weather was nasty today, so I didn't even try anyways.