Railroad Forums 

• Manhattan: TARS carhouse at 66th & 3rd?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#81382  by bellstbarn

A friend's dad worked out of the Third Avenue Railway Carhouse on Third Avenue, apparently near East 66th Street, Manhattan. Yes, I did ride that T car (City Hall to Fort George) before bustitution, but I have only a vague memory of the carhouse. Was it on the west side of Third Avenue? Between which cross streets? Did it extend through the block to Lexington Avenue? The Third Avenue el also had a yard and barn on Third Avenue, but what block(s) did that occupy? I cannot find a photo or other help on subway.org or other web sites. Even the larger photo sites of TARS concentrate on streets with full sunlight. Many thanks!
 #81518  by Leo Sullivan

If you are in New York, go to the main Library, map room and look at the Bromley Atlases of Manhattan. The plan for that area shows the exact extent of the building and even what the building materials were. They have several editions so, it is possible to trace the expansion and even disappearance the carbarn.LS
 #189312  by exnewyorker

The 65 St carhouse was built for horse cars in the mid 1800s. It was designed by Henry Hardenburgh, whose outstanding existing building is the Dakota Apartments,where John Lennon was killed outside of the entrance. His widow still owns at least 2 apartments. The carhouse was of similar architechtual style, Victorian Second empire w/ mansard roofs. It encompassed 65 to 66 Sts,Third to Second aves. All of TARS home built trolleys of the 30s were built in the building. It was torn down in the late 40s-early 50s.
 #190115  by exnewyorker

I might be wrong about Henry Hardenbergh designing the 65 St TARS carhouse.. The el yard was at 99 St. between 3rd and Madison. After electrification, the equipment used to coast across Lexington Ave.

#190223  by bellstbarn

Thanks for all the leads on this topic.