Railroad Forums 

• West Penn Railways Irwin to McKeesport Line

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1021  by R D Kautz

I am looking for information on the Irwin Pa to Mckeesport line of the West Penn Railways.I would like to know where to get Maps with track Charts and /or topo maps showing the line .I know the line was in service from 1904 until 1938 but donot know the exact route the track took from Irwin to Mckeesport during it's time in operation .Thank You in advance.
 #1585  by njt4172

Where exactly in Pa is this trolley line? Directions?

Thanks....
 #1773  by RE D Kautz

The line ran from Irwin Pa. 25 Miles east of Pittsburgh Pa to Mckeesport Pa. on the Monogohela and Yough.Rivers. It was part of the West Penn Railway System and before it was absorbed by merger it was the Mckeesport and Irwin Railway.West Penn's Shops and head quarters were in Connellsville Pa.The West Penn Had another Line from Irwin to Trafford Pa.Both the Mckeesport Line And the Trafford Line Met the Pittsburgh Railways at their respective Cities.The line then became the Irwin to Greensburg Line.All of these lines were in Southwestern Pa The Lines also had a feeder the Irwin-Hermine between the named towns Until 1931.THE Mckeesport to Irwin line folded in 1938 replaced by Yellow Coach Buses,The Trafford -Irwin Line in 1942 and the Irwin-Greensburg line in 1952
 #1978  by Guest

You might try "McKeesport Trolleys" by Ronald Beal available from Amazon.com It has quite a few photographs of The West Penn and Pittsburgh Railways in McKeesport. It seems to be very well researched. I don't have my copy at hand so I can't look for specific material right now. I understand that the author is working on 3 books on Pittsburgh Trolleys. I'm, sure you won't be disappointed with this book.

Bill
Elizabeth, Pa