Railroad Forums 

• Preserved Electric Cars site expanded

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#173017  by Frank Hicks

The Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars (PNAERC) website at http://www.bera.org/pnaerc.html has been updated and, for the first time since it was established approximately three years ago, has been expanded considerably.

Webmaster Jeff Hakner has designed a new feature for the PNAERC website which allows us to publish brief historical descriptions of the preserved electric cars included in the site. These historical narratives allow much more information about their subjects to be communicated than was previously possible through the basic database listing, furthering our goal of disseminating as much information as possible about traction preservation.

As of yet these historical narratives have only been written for about 130 cars out of the 2,000+ cars on the overall list. We are looking for authors to write more historical descriptions of preserved electric cars; if you are interested in contributing to this project, please contact Frank Hicks at [email protected]. As always, we are also interested in any corrections or additions to the database listings that people can send us.

Jeff Hakner, Branford Electric Railway Association
Frank Hicks, Illinois Railway Museum

#173250  by MR77100

Concerning the CA&E cars at Trolleyville, USA; are there really some that are operating in commuter service in Cleveland? It looks like several of the preserved North Shore cars are in poor shape. Why couldn't more of them had been saved? There were many railroad museums that never had North Shore cars on their roster that did exist back in 1963.

#173332  by Frank Hicks

MR77100 wrote:Concerning the CA&E cars at Trolleyville, USA; are there really some that are operating in commuter service in Cleveland?

Well, there are two cars, 36 and 303, that are currently stored on RTA property. They were operated briefly for paying passengers but for a while have been stored at Central Rail. One is having its traction motors rebuilt, I believe. These cars are listed on the PNAERC site under Greater Cleveland RTA, since that's their current location.

Frank Hicks

#173423  by aline1969

There is one car not on Seashore's roster, the car was brought here with the hopes that a private owner could sell it. It is a Laconia built car that ran in Laconia, NH. The car is for sale, just a body.

#173554  by Frank Hicks

aline1969 wrote:There is one car not on Seashore's roster, the car was brought here with the hopes that a private owner could sell it. It is a Laconia built car that ran in Laconia, NH. The car is for sale, just a body.
I've heard of that car, and would like to add it to the database, but I can't find any solid information about its history. Any suggestions of who I might ask? Thanks...

Frank Hicks

#173654  by aline1969

I will talk to Fred Maloney and see what he knows. The car sits off the railroad way up off Bermer Road behind the shop.

Also we are considering getting another car body that is in better shape than the current Yourk Utilities 88, this body has been encased in a house over in Sanford, ME since the 1950's. It is sister car # 90... the one that fell into the river back in 1947.