• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:LOL there are no exhaust fans in these cars. Just vent ports on the roof. There is no blower heating system ONLY floor heat like a coach. Lets see how long that lasts before snow gets in because someone left a door open and shorts it out.
Any way that could be added for the diners and sleepers? Id think it would be a good idea in case a chef burns something and it stinks up the diner or bathroom ventilation on the sleepers. Just my two cents.
  by gokeefe

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:LOL there are no exhaust fans in these cars. Just vent ports on the roof. There is no blower heating system ONLY floor heat like a coach. Lets see how long that lasts before snow gets in because someone left a door open and shorts it out.
Any way that could be added for the diners and sleepers? Id think it would be a good idea in case a chef burns something and it stinks up the diner or bathroom ventilation on the sleepers. Just my two cents.
I took it as a reference to Baggage cars only.
  by D.Carleton

gokeefe wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:add to that wheel slip/slide system.
There's a wheel slip system?
If you look at the video from Kissimmee you can see a thin, silver conduit running across the top of the truck and down to the wheel bearing. This is a proximity sensor that "watches" the bearing end cap and is wired to an electronic decelostat.
  by DutchRailnut

Think Mr.Okeefe tried to be anal by pointing out that slip only happens on powered axles, yet the WABCO decellostats are sold sold as a slip/slide system.
  by ApproachMedium

D.Carleton wrote:
gokeefe wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:add to that wheel slip/slide system.
There's a wheel slip system?
If you look at the video from Kissimmee you can see a thin, silver conduit running across the top of the truck and down to the wheel bearing. This is a proximity sensor that "watches" the bearing end cap and is wired to an electronic decelostat.
These do not have wabco decelostats they have the MGS system made by Knorr like the amfleets. Most of the old baggage cars that were passenger cars have the E-5 decelostats from wabco. Any of the heritage diners with disc brakes have decelostats.
  by DutchRailnut

the WABCO E-5 was also used on the Budd SPV's , needles to say they were F**kted when they took drive shafts out from outer axles.
  by Matt Johnson

I think this photo illustrates how well the Phase IV on the Viewliners matches that on the Amfleets. I just don't get the logic behind the mixed color scheme thing that Amtrak is going for.
  by gokeefe

DutchRailnut wrote:Think Mr.Okeefe tried to be anal by pointing out that slip only happens on powered axles, yet the WABCO decellostats are sold sold as a slip/slide system.
Not in the least. I'm not familiar at all with these types of passive (?) systems on non-powered axles. More than happy to learn about it though.
  by DutchRailnut

The slip slide system in its basic form is a comparator card which counts gear teeth with a proximity sensor, when any of the axles don't match the speed of others either brakes are released on that truck. (or power is reduced if powered axle)
It prevents car from getting flat spots, bad thing still is when extremely slick like leaf season of all axles lock up it will no longer see the problem so entire car will slide.
same with powered axles , if all wheels spin, the comparator card can no longer see difference unless equipped with some kind of ground speed device like some engines have.
its a simple kind of ABS system.
  by gokeefe

Are these self powered or would they typically have some kind of low voltage setup from the car's power?
  by DutchRailnut

system is powered of car's battery system (64 volt) which in turn is charged and maintained by HEP.
  by D.Carleton

ApproachMedium wrote:These do not have wabco decelostats they have the MGS system made by Knorr like the amfleets. Most of the old baggage cars that were passenger cars have the E-5 decelostats from wabco. Any of the heritage diners with disc brakes have decelostats.
In the field we use "decelostat" as a generic term regardless of make. Not technically correct but we know what we're talking about. Maybe when some newer stuff filters down to us that will change.
  by ApproachMedium

D.Carleton wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:These do not have wabco decelostats they have the MGS system made by Knorr like the amfleets. Most of the old baggage cars that were passenger cars have the E-5 decelostats from wabco. Any of the heritage diners with disc brakes have decelostats.
In the field we use "decelostat" as a generic term regardless of make. Not technically correct but we know what we're talking about. Maybe when some newer stuff filters down to us that will change.

Yea the MGS system is a deceostat, i know that what i meant to say is it wasnt a wabco product.
  by D.Carleton

ACeInTheHole wrote:
The silver box in the center of the skirt is the car's HVAC unit: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3965228
  by jstolberg

DutchRailnut wrote:system is powered of car's battery system (64 volt) which in turn is charged and maintained by HEP.
64 volt? That seems like it's from the bygone era of the 32-volt farm windchargers. http://www.windcharger.org/Wind_Charger ... _Fame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There's not a farmhouse left wired for 32-volt power, yet here in the 21st century we're using 64-volt systems in brand-new railroad rolling stock.