• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ngotwalt

afiggatt wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:I realized earlier today that yesterday's train represented 13.8% of the total order being delivered.

If the report of 2 baggage cars still out there roaming the rails, that means 15% of the order has been delivered.
The 2 baggage cars that have been in Philly for testing are being added to the 18 cars for the move to Hialeah. So 15% of the total order has been pushed out the door like a dam breaking. The highest number car in the delivered set is 61024 (25th car from 61000) so there are gaps in the number sequence of the 20 cars, indicating that more baggage cars are not far behind.
9 more baggage cars were supposed to leave the factory today, or in the near future. If you notice, only one amcafe and the P42s returned from CAF. One amcafe and the GP38-3 are still there.

Cheers,
Nick
  by Greg Moore

ngotwalt wrote:
afiggatt wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:I realized earlier today that yesterday's train represented 13.8% of the total order being delivered.

If the report of 2 baggage cars still out there roaming the rails, that means 15% of the order has been delivered.
The 2 baggage cars that have been in Philly for testing are being added to the 18 cars for the move to Hialeah. So 15% of the total order has been pushed out the door like a dam breaking. The highest number car in the delivered set is 61024 (25th car from 61000) so there are gaps in the number sequence of the 20 cars, indicating that more baggage cars are not far behind.
9 more baggage cars were supposed to leave the factory today, or in the near future. If you notice, only one amcafe and the P42s returned from CAF. One amcafe and the GP38-3 are still there.

Cheers,
Nick
I saw on one of the Youtube videos a mention of 9 more leaving today or in the near future. I hadn't counted those since I wasn't sure but that definitely would put things at over 20% of the order. Not to shabby.

Things are getting ready to roll! (literally :-)
  by DanD3815

hopefully the Diners and Sleepers will be rolling in the near future too!
  by afiggatt

Greg Moore wrote: I saw on one of the Youtube videos a mention of 9 more leaving today or in the near future. I hadn't counted those since I wasn't sure but that definitely would put things at over 20% of the order. Not to shabby.

Things are getting ready to roll! (literally :-)
Getting ready to roll? They are rolling! :P

I checked YouTube with a search for Viewliner II videos posted in the last day. Bunch of videos on-line already. Could be dozens of them by this weekend.

For a close-up look as the train passed through NYP: Amtrak/CAF Viewliner II Baggage Cars @ New York Penn Station. You can see the luggage racks through the windows in the doors.
  by Greg Moore

gregorygrice wrote:Here's the train on the Hudson Line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jaW134UGJ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty more videos to follow.
A commenter notes there may be a EOT on the end of the train. Is that the case?
Does that mean no conductor in the last car?
  by ACeInTheHole

Just recieved word that the Viewliners are going in type order. First is obviously baggage cars and next to be built should be the diners, in around six months time.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Matt Johnson

Six months?! Rats. I was hoping they were closer than that. So, another year for sleepers then?
  by Greg Moore

ACeInTheHole wrote:Just recieved word that the Viewliners are going in type order. First is obviously baggage cars and next to be built should be the diners, in around six months time.

Huh, that changes my understanding that they'd be doing the baggage cars on one line and the others on a second line.

In any event, just about 1/2 the baggage cars are on their way for Florida so that's definitely a big chunk done.
  by ACeInTheHole

Matt Johnson wrote:Six months?! Rats. I was hoping they were closer than that. So, another year for sleepers then?
No idea. I wasnt about to press my source. I assume this extra padding is because the diner/sleeper have yet to finish their testing, considering there are only 25 diners and 25 sleepers to do, i dont think the sleepers will be THAT far behind the diners.
  by ACeInTheHole

8 cars only in the second move. Departed Elmira at 11:20PM in the charge of GP38-H3 #520, due to get new engines in Albany.

PS- theyre aiming for all 130 cars complete by the end of 2015. We can also glean how fast they are moving on this order, because two of the cars in the 18 car move, the 61004 and 61006 are the two cars i reported as looking ready for pickup back in early November, and just like that 16 more cars are ready a month later, theyre cranking on these things, i have faith in their ability to hit their target.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Greg Moore

ACeInTheHole wrote:8 cars only in the second move. Departed Elmira at 11:20PM in the charge of GP38-H3 #520, due to get new engines in Albany.

PS- theyre aiming for all 130 cars complete by the end of 2015.
Sounds really like the logjam has been broken or is close to being broken.

Consider if approximately 30 cars have been delivered by the end of this year, that leaves 100 for next year, or roughly 8/month.

Can't wait!
  by Station Aficionado

Greg Moore wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:8 cars only in the second move. Departed Elmira at 11:20PM in the charge of GP38-H3 #520, due to get new engines in Albany.

PS- theyre aiming for all 130 cars complete by the end of 2015.
Sounds really like the logjam has been broken or is close to being broken.

Consider if approximately 30 cars have been delivered by the end of this year, that leaves 100 for next year, or roughly 8/month.

Can't wait!
And sounds like it's time to get serious about execising the option for additional cars (if that's going to happen).
  by gokeefe

Station Aficionado wrote:And sounds like it's time to get serious about execising the option for additional cars (if that's going to happen).
Thankfully Amtrak will likely had the additional cash necessary to do it.
  by Greg Moore

gokeefe wrote:
Station Aficionado wrote:And sounds like it's time to get serious about execising the option for additional cars (if that's going to happen).
Thankfully Amtrak will likely had the additional cash necessary to do it.
Well, I think waiting a few months to see how well these new ones really perform is in order.

But that said, the time to add on to the order is while all the machinery is in place and the trained workers available.

And I do think Amtrak should still consider going to some of the states and say, "hey, you know, we can provide baggage service on your trains if you're willing to pay for the baggage cars".

Baggage is one of those things I rarely use (perhaps 2 trips a year out of 30-50) but that's in part because of the nature of my travel (often mostly business) but also because it's simply not practical. I go to DC several times a year. If I could bring my bike in a practical and easy manner, I'd be doing it in a New York minute. Heck, I'd be more likely to do some trips within NYS if I could take my bike. (and those would be trips in addition to what I currently take).
  by ACeInTheHole

The second move is somewhere in Metro North territory.. Power has changed to P32AC-DM #717