• UTU and National Carriers' Tentative agreement.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Burner

pinlifter wrote:you want some wine with that cheese? stop complaining "oh im only at 80 % dont sign the contract" do your time like everyone else did. i did my 5 years at step rate then 2 years later on july 1 2004 everybody got 100% then new hires after that date where once again subject to the step rate progression. oh well thats the way it goes. i think the real issue at hand with this contract should be on more revelant issues about medical, general wage increases and job protection ie save the conductor. the carriers love to keep this 75% step rate plan inorder to deter the membership from focusing on the real issues. hey with only 7 years seniority i still consider myself a new hire but you newer guys should be putting all that energy in learning 100% of the job!!!!
I dont think people should be complaining about being at 80% but I really think this is a bullshit attitude to have... "put your time in like i did"

what a cop out...
It is a pattern contract anyway... And the UTU did save the conductors job this contract.

by musicmarine

And also to point out once again...."you need to concentrate on learning 100% of the job".....ok then give me 100% of the pay. Why should I be expected to learn everything and never make a "newbie" mistake but only get 80% pay. If a 6th year man goes out and does the job he makes $X.00 but I do the same exact job and I get 80% of $X.00. However, I am expected to never make a mistake or I can be fired easier (i.e. first 60 days w/ no reason) If you expect a new man to to do the full job give him the full pay.

The way I would suggest fixing it is as follows:
It takes 180 or so shifts on my territory to make vacation for the next year. Well when you are working like us that goes by pretty quick, so how about giving me a 5% raise every 180 shifts till I make 100%. I could live with that. Most companies hire people at less than thier counterparts but are given raises as the become more proficient at thier jobs. However, it isn't drug out for 5 yrs. Every 90days or so they evaluate you and you get a raise if it is deserved. This goes on for a year or so and then raises come much less frequently. I could live with that.

I am not going to be as good a trainman as the old heads at first, but give me some time and incentive and I will learn to be as good. It just needs to be changed to something reasonable and more in line with today's workforce.

And the "I did it so you should have to also," is a really bad excuse. That is one of the reasons I got out of the military. Just because Joe Schmucatele got hazed when he joined doesn' mean that I have to be, because it was wrong then and is wrong now. And if I am I should be smart enough and MAN enough to say, you know that was wrong and I am going to do my damnest to keep if from happen to the people below me. But, most people get mad that they had to go though something so they want everyone else so suffer as well....that is just selfishness. But we all know the RR is built on selfisness and greed. Oh, well, it is a good job and I will be happy with the 80% but I will do my best to prevent it from being that way for the people that come in after me. Just because I suffer doesn't mean that everyone else should too. It is called looking out for your fellow man.

by bnsfym

People need to quite gripping about 80%. You make 80% and still make more money than most people could even think about making. And besides there are a lot of jobs that use step pay rates, as a matter of fact my job before the railroad did. I agree with the point that I dont make as much as an old head but you dont hear me whinnin about it either. If you dont like it than find another job, its that simple. Pay rates like this just go with the territory. The union needs to worry about getting our jobs secured and never having to deal with one man crews. I'd rather make 80% than not have a job period. I would also rather see the union do something about sitting at the awat from home terminal for 36+ hours and then only being home 8. Just my opinion.

by Jim Rockford

yea , could be worse , the UAW guys start out at 50% so count your blessings.

by BigMike

bnsfym wrote:People need to quite gripping about 80%. You make 80% and still make more money than most people could even think about making. And besides there are a lot of jobs that use step pay rates, as a matter of fact my job before the railroad did. I agree with the point that I dont make as much as an old head but you dont hear me whinnin about it either. If you dont like it than find another job, its that simple. Pay rates like this just go with the territory. The union needs to worry about getting our jobs secured and never having to deal with one man crews. I'd rather make 80% than not have a job period. I would also rather see the union do something about sitting at the awat from home terminal for 36+ hours and then only being home 8. Just my opinion.
WTF! You think making 1200 every two weeks is a ton of money??

FOAMER!

by rwallace2fan1

Jim Rockford wrote:yea , could be worse , the UAW guys start out at 50% so count your blessings.
same with UPS, but it only takes them 30 months to get to 100%. 2 1/2 years to go up 50% or 5 years to go up 20% in the long run who has the better deal?

by Burner

BigMike wrote:
bnsfym wrote:People need to quite gripping about 80%. You make 80% and still make more money than most people could even think about making. And besides there are a lot of jobs that use step pay rates, as a matter of fact my job before the railroad did. I agree with the point that I dont make as much as an old head but you dont hear me whinnin about it either. If you dont like it than find another job, its that simple. Pay rates like this just go with the territory. The union needs to worry about getting our jobs secured and never having to deal with one man crews. I'd rather make 80% than not have a job period. I would also rather see the union do something about sitting at the awat from home terminal for 36+ hours and then only being home 8. Just my opinion.
WTF! You think making 1200 every two weeks is a ton of money??

FOAMER!

lol... i make tons more than that... at 80%

by gp80mac

Sure is obvious you've been drinking the company kool-aid. People like you are the exact reason this job sucks. "but you're making so much money". Give me a break. Look at the hours. Look at being on-call (non-paid). Sitting in hotels (not paid). Paid well? Depends on how much you think your life is worth.

Why should I make 80% when the conductor the next day for the same job makes 100%? My state has a law that says you can't volunteer for your employer - so I give them 80% effort. You think I go out of my way to do anything for the railroad? hah.

And before you start with "get a new job" BS, I am trying. If everyone else would wake up and stop giving up their lives for a few dollars - it would be tolerable out here. But greed reigns supreme. Too many idiots out here that define their lives by their job.

by pinlifter

my point is that when you were hired on ,the rr told you all about the step rate bs. if not then im sure you heard all about it in these forums. and when you went to the interview and competed with 200 other people for 12 jobs you were willing to do ANYTHING for the job. my question is what happened? now that you have the job and are in the union your all of a sudden NOT SATISFIED!?! I undertand it sucks my rr brothers, believe me. all i'm saying is that you knew or let me say you were warned what you were getting into when you went for the job(ie. the SCARE speech everyone seems to blow off because they are preoccupied on getting the job and will do/say anything to get it) suck it ! up love it or leave it after all its a free country. and for those of you that are interested my understanding is that McDonalds is paying 100%

by pinlifter

let me also add that i think we are all extremely underpaid for the resposibitily we endure when we report for duty, not to mention the lifestyle we live. i have friends in other trades that are paid a hell of lot better than the rr when you consider the hours . but i can honestly say that the rr has provided my family with a comfortable living (monotarily speaking) and has allowed me to aquire some toys along the way. to all who seem to be unsatisfied with there situation just hang in there . this is a good job that only gets better with time. just think there are at thousands of people that would love to be in your shoes. just look at the other topics in these employment forums. :-)

by Burner

orry pinlifter... I disagree...

While I have said over and over again that people knew what the pay was when they hired on, going to 100% would be nice also...

and i lost all potential respect for you when you said "suck it up and put your time in" and "i had to do it so should you"...

by gp80mac

I can only speak for myself. Our terminal has been going to hell fast. You get certain supers, TMs, and STOs and all of a sudden you're getting screwed. Being shoved into hotels when you're not supposed to - handling trains you are not supposed to. You have plenty of people on your list - but they are all in hotels.

Then we got a whole new generation of managers fresh out of High School that only know the railroad as a book of rules. I know a guy that works maintenance at a plant. He makes more than I do, has 12 hour shifts, but gets lots of days off (and can go into work for OT if he wants). Yes, you can have money to buy your family toys - but there's also a lot of single and divorced RRers out here. It wouldn't be a bad job if you could get away from it once in awhile - and you didn't' have home terminals that screwed you over day after day.

pinlifter wrote:my point is that when you were hired on ,the rr told you all about the step rate bs. if not then im sure you heard all about it in these forums. and when you went to the interview and competed with 200 other people for 12 jobs you were willing to do ANYTHING for the job. my question is what happened? now that you have the job and are in the union your all of a sudden NOT SATISFIED!?! I undertand it sucks my rr brothers, believe me. all i'm saying is that you knew or let me say you were warned what you were getting into when you went for the job(ie. the SCARE speech everyone seems to blow off because they are preoccupied on getting the job and will do/say anything to get it) suck it ! up love it or leave it after all its a free country. and for those of you that are interested my understanding is that McDonalds is paying 100%

by bnsfym

90% at my terminal about 2300 a half. I get upset at all the crap that goes on out here but I do like the money. It could be a lot worse.

by pinlifter

hey burner theres no offense taken! the only people i expect respect from are from my kids and the wife the next morning after that special night :-D . anyway the stytem is the system, we may not like it but thats the rr industry. i hope everyone is bumped up to a 100% but believe me the rr WILL find another way to cut costs at our expense. like an old head once told me that the company is willing to spend a dollar inoder to cheat you out of 10 cents. being held away from home terminal at some crappy hotel i think is a serious issue. i think we should be on continous pay after 12 hours (on the clock until we tie up at our home terminal) that way the company would be less inclined to keep us captive against our will at a place we know better than home!

by Pompompaihn

I guess it shows how crappy my current job is when I say I can't wait to work for the RR after reading this...ha.

I have no retirement, make barely $14 an hour after almost eight years, and I'm in a quasi-administrative position where I'm responsible for ~30 third shift staff. Keep in mind you can walk off the street and make a buck fifty less than I do....