• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by fredrick

Alek9997 wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/aleksalka2456/6366109343/

Got a quick photo looking South at Swamp Road in North Brookfield today....Note the fresh flange cuts in the sand at the crossing. Too big to be a highrailer but I don't think it was a train. MOW equipment maybe?
it could be mow equipment but i not 100% sure.
  by Steve F45

alex, i had responded to that yahoo posting. The pic you posted in yahoo looked like it was blasted out with air or scraped out.

And all this work, is it in the oos section of track?
  by fredrick

i don't know much about railroads.one thing i have to say hopefully this project will pass.so the whole utica line will be back in business.
  by Alek9997

Steve F45 wrote:alex, i had responded to that yahoo posting. The pic you posted in yahoo looked like it was blasted out with air or scraped out.

And all this work, is it in the oos section of track?
OOS Since 2008. Utica - Sangerfield is still in service, Sangerfield - Sherburne has been OOS since 2008, and Sherburne - Chenango Forks has been OOS since 2006.

Frederick, Not sure if it was MOW Equipment but apparently something is going on.
  by fredrick

like i say i don"t know nothing much about railroads.the way the picture look like a train or something made those fresh cuts.
  by waldwickrailfan

fredrick wrote:like i say i don"t know nothing much about railroads.the way the picture look like a train or something made those fresh cuts.
i dont think that was a train. the picture looked like MOW or Hi-Rail equipment.
  by Alek9997

Yeah it wasn't a train. Just a tie machine or something.
  by fredrick

it might be to soon to ask. does anybody know if service has return to sheburne?
  by charlie6017

fredrick wrote:it might be to soon to ask. does anybody know if service has return to sheburne?
No, it is too soon.

Patience.

Charlie
  by fredrick

do you think service will return from utica to sheburne. lets say maybe year or two dnow the road?
  by Alek9997

Quite possibly within the first half of next year.

Alek S
  by fredrick

i think soon railroad customers in sheburne area. thats when we will see trains start running from utica to sheburne.lets hope railroad get more customers on the north end of the utica line.specially in the sheburne area.
  by charlie6017

fredrick wrote:i think soon railroad customers in sheburne area. thats when we will see trains start running from utica to sheburne.lets hope railroad get more customers on the north end of the utica line.specially in the sheburne area.
Okay, yes, we get your point, more service and trains........people are very good about posting what is happening in a timely manner---so when service resumes, it will be posted on here.

But please, relax.......and we have to remember that railroads are in business to make money, and if NYSW sees fit to re-activate the line, they will.

Charlie
  by kingfish

I have worked for S-Q for the third time for the last 5 years plus and must say this thread is without a doubt the most dorkiest (real word?).

Some of you folks need to take breather.

One of my best friends many years ago was Bob Collins and he convinced me to attend a Ross Rowlands(sp?) seminar in Utica on the ACE 3000 steamer project. I was impressed with the presentation and the general outlook of the chapter involved. This went a long way to change may outlook on railfans. In those days (early 80s to 90s) my attitude was quite negative due to the fans swarming RR properties and acting like "foamers". Bob , who passed away in 1993 was God father to my two daughters when they were young (1.5 & 4 years) took me in hand and explained the difference between fans and the insane goof balls. Some imes when reading these threads I wonder who predominates... sensible fans or wackos.