• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by kman73

charlie6017 wrote:You've gotta be patient, Rome was not built in a day.

Neither was Utica. ;)

K
  by thebigham

^That's good news, but isn't it about 5 years late?
  by Alek9997

Nope, Just came up again. Hopefully something is done this time.
  by NYS&W142Fan

It sure would be nice to sit in my Son's Living room and see the trains go by again.
From what I read, it almost sounds like there is a growing need for Rail in the OOS portion. Let us hope this comes to pass.
  by fredrick

Alek9997 wrote:It may take a year for work to even begin on the repairs, but I am seeing signs of service returning to Sherburne in the near future...We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.
railroad might have to check the tracks in sheburne. before service start. do to flooding this year.make sure their safe to use?
  by Alek9997

@Frederick,

As far as I know, the tracks are now pretty safe all the way to Sherburne. There was a small washout near the Larkin Road crossing in East Hamilton, but it was filled in last week and 12" diameter drain pipes were installed at the location. The only other washout I am aware of between Sherburne and Sangerfield is a small (only 4' or so long) one near "Puckerville" (located between North Brookfield and Hubbardsville). It may have been repaired, though.

~Alek
  by K4Pacific

Bevier St. Yard is ready for Nat gas supplies as is NYSW Binghamton Yard. Here comes Utica pretty quick.
  by fredrick

Alek9997 wrote:@Frederick,

As far as I know, the tracks are now pretty safe all the way to Sherburne. There was a small washout near the Larkin Road crossing in East Hamilton, but it was filled in last week and 12" diameter drain pipes were installed at the location. The only other washout I am aware of between Sherburne and Sangerfield is a small (only 4' or so long) one near "Puckerville" (located between North Brookfield and Hubbardsville). It may have been repaired, though.

~Alek
if i read is right. service might return from utica to sheburne. lets hope this happen .does nysw run trains dog food factory in sheburne.i know its one railroad customer in sheburne.
  by Alek9997

The NYS&W ran trains to the Dog Food plant in Sherburne until mid-2008. The reason that service stopped was because they were only averaging one trip a week (sometimes not even) to and from Sherburne with only a couple cars, and eventually it wasn't worth the costs of fuel, labor, etc.
  by fredrick

Alek9997 wrote:The NYS&W ran trains to the Dog Food plant in Sherburne until mid-2008. The reason that service stopped was because they were only averaging one trip a week (sometimes not even) to and from Sherburne with only a couple cars, and eventually it wasn't worth the costs of fuel, labor, etc.
thanks for the answer. person i know told me railroad was still run trains to the dog food plant in sheburne.
  by Alek9997

Curious, What is the process of making a railroad yard "ready" for hydrofracking supplies? Laying heavier rail?
  by thebigham

^For right now, fixing the washouts and re-opening the line for through trains...
  by fredrick

thebigham wrote:^For right now, fixing the washouts and re-opening the line for through trains...
i think that what railroad is doing from sangerfield to sheburne. fixing the washouts. i not 100% sure on this.
  by Alek9997

I saw an NYSW crew working on the grade grossing in Hubbardsville yesterday, I was on Route 12 so I could not tell exactly what they were doing.

Alek S.