• UP SW-10 Switcher Rebuilds

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by ljeppson

How many of UP's hammerhead switcher rebuilds are still working? Does UP still have any on the roster? Salt Lake Garfield & Western has two of them; one is show here:

www.utahtransit.us/slgw.htm
  by ljeppson

Thanks for the info. If I'm reading it right, UP has only one SW-10 "hammerhead" left, #96. SW's in general have been mighty scarce here in SLC (except for the SLG&W units). I think I've seen only one UP SW (an SW-1500 I think) the last five years.
  by westr

As UP's roster shows, #96, the Heritage Fleet switcher in Cheyenne, is UPs only remaining active SW10. I think it was #1243. The others were retired years ago, and I think most found new owners. As for SW1500s, UP has several assigned to the Portland area, all former SP units I think.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Those offset headlights makes spotting them as ex-SP units fairly easy.......... :wink:
  by westr

...as do the big numberboards on the front of the cab. All the ones I've seen lately have been ex-SP, but I can't entirely rule out a non-SP one in the area eluding me.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Every one between Brooklynn, and Albina that I've seen has been an ex-SP unit. I haven't seen one of those horrible SW-10's in a while, and I can still remember the last time I was unlucky enough to get stuck running one, out of Settegast Yard in Houston, back in 1999........... :P
  by rrfoose

Apparently CP got ahold of a couple of these...and they were in a one-off lettering scheme!

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=278169

Here are a few other pictures for other roads that bought hand-me-down SW10's:
NREX repaints: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=502880
Ferromex repaints: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1007378

Chase Z.
  by ljeppson

The Ferromex photos are a pleasant surprise. I wonder how many of them are working? Also, I was wondering what parts of the old FNM are included in Ferromex; so much has changed in Mexico the last few years; many of us have lost touch.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Sounds like a question for the KCS forum.......... :wink:
  by GOLDEN-ARM

I was thinking about these little switchers, and I remembered that when I worked on the P&PU (we did the conversion to the TZPR for G&W on that railroad) we had a couple or three of them as well. The two I remember were the 700 and 701. There might have been a third. Looking for info about these units, provided the following info. Enjoy! SW-10's
  by Leo_Ames

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Every one between Brooklynn, and Albina that I've seen has been an ex-SP unit. I haven't seen one of those horrible SW-10's in a while, and I can still remember the last time I was unlucky enough to get stuck running one, out of Settegast Yard in Houston, back in 1999........... :P
On Union Pacific? Besides UP 96 (Ex 1243) based with the historical collection to do shop switching for the steam locomotives and such, the last UP SW10's were retired in July 1998, with all being sold off the roster by the end of that month.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

We got slightly OT there, Leo. The locos we mentioned around Portland are SW/MP-15's. Look back through the posts, and you'll see what happened..... :wink:
I did provide the link, that shows when they came off, and where they went. Regards
  by Leo_Ames

I see now, thanks. :)
  by wigwagfan

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Every one between Brooklynn, and Albina that I've seen has been an ex-SP unit.
No SW-10s around Oregon (at least not owned by UP), but the Portland area yards get a mix of ex-SP (SW-1500s, MP-15s) and ex-UP (MP-15s). I would say at least 50/50 ex-SP stuff, if not slightly more; but there's a few pre-1996 UP engines around.

BN(SF) has sent most of their SW-1000s away from the Portland area so Albina is the only good place to catch the newer SW- engines. Brooklyn only has one or two engines working that yard; there's two or three up at Barnes, and likely one or two at Lake (PTRR) working with a BN engine.