• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

3698 seen this afternoon eastbound on the Masspike. On a flatbed, of course :D
  by electricron

Since the rebuilding program has passed the halfway point, can anyone give a review of the quality of the rebuild, and whether the rebuilt ones are more reliable? Is it still too soon for such a review?
  by johnpbarlow

Rode recently rebuilt 3661 today and it made this very loud "creaking" sound that seemed like it was the frame twisiting(?) on straight track on the Riverside line. Not a pleasant ride experience.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

electricron wrote:Since the rebuilding program has passed the halfway point, can anyone give a review of the quality of the rebuild, and whether the rebuilt ones are more reliable? Is it still too soon for such a review?
They're sooooooo clean and bright inside! Much quieter, too, since the insulation got replaced behind the all-new paneling and really makes a difference at dampening the sound. And the new HVAC is a lot more forceful than the old units; more like a 3700 where you can feel the all-around more potent air circulation. I'm sure a few of them have break-in rattles like jpb describes in his post, but that's been the exception rather than rule in my experience.

Personally, I love 'em. Best "like-new" T vehicle experience I can remember in 21 years as a rider (though credit where due to the ongoing New Flyer 40-footer procurement being the nicest new rubber-tire purchase they've made in a long time). They feel a lot like the 3700's did when they were brand new and shiny. I'll even pass up a non-rebuild consist nowadays on coin-flip odds that the next train will have a rebuild in it, because the non-rebuilds are so damn depressing by comparison (and I always opt for the 7 over the 8 in the consist to avoid the 8s' inferior crowd-control). Tired, grimy, jaundiced...icky. It's absolutely amazing what taking care of business will do to breathe new life into rock-solid old rolling stock.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I agree! I will actively seek one out. I love how clean and well lit they are.
  by doublebell

3668 was seen headed west on a trailer yesterday, 29 June 2017.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back

The final 10 active 3600 non-rebuilds, for your tracking purposes:

3616 (teal)
3620 (teal)
3647 (teal)
3660 (new green)
3674 (teal)
3681 (new green)
3682 (teal)
3686 (original green)
3692 (original green)
3694 (new green)
  by bgl

So, odd question - but does anyone know if the old Kinki-Sharyo build plates (that are now replaced with Alstom ones on the rebuilds) might be available to get (or know anyone who might)? I tried Wardmaps and they said they wouldn't be getting them. Would just be a nice little historic memento.
  by Philip Wirth

Of 616, 620, and 647 is it known which cars retain pull cords?

Also, is 682 one of the last cars to get converted because of concerns from being the pilot upgrade car, or just luck of the draw?
  by Rbts Stn

Just got to ride on 3698 (I believe -- see my other post in the subway delay thread which is why I can't remember everything that happened today) from Government Station to Park Street. I had been waiting for a C train and 6 others went by so I thought maybe they were turning Cs at Park (I had just ridden in from Brookline to Govt. Center on a C 2 hours earlier) and I saw a fresh painted, no outside ads 3698 heading west so I rode it to Park Street. Love that "new train smell!"

And from there my ride got worse
  by StefanW

I don't think I mentioned this previously... Apologies if this is old news.

Starting earlier this year the real-time data for Green Line trains includes the car numbers for the entire train - even a three-car train. I added an additional column to the table in my app (directly below the map) where you can see the trailing car IDs. Because you can sort the table on any column it makes it possible to easily find / follow any Green Line vehicle.

If anyone is trying to shoot and/or ride the last pre-rebuild cars this is a way you can track them down.
  by WatertownCarBarn

Please excuse the naive question, but when the Type 7's are being taken or returned from Riverside, how is the transfer from rail to trailer made?
Roll on/off or crane? Thanks.
  by MBTA3247

Roll on/roll off.
  by Stephen

StefanW wrote:I don't think I mentioned this previously... Apologies if this is old news.

Starting earlier this year the real-time data for Green Line trains includes the car numbers for the entire train - even a three-car train. I added an additional column to the table in my app (directly below the map) where you can see the trailing car IDs. Because you can sort the table on any column it makes it possible to easily find / follow any Green Line vehicle.

If anyone is trying to shoot and/or ride the last pre-rebuild cars this is a way you can track them down.
That is all pretty slick; thanks for sharing.
Stephen

Tracker list update, 7/31:

3616 (teal) now yanked from service for prep-to-ship to Alstom. 9 active non-rebuilds left in the 3600 series.