• Tunnel Box

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Don31

Thomas wrote:The tunnel box is related to Gateway. It is the first step of the Gateway Project. Without this tunnel box, it is very possible that Gateway would not come to be.

Does the "preliminary engineering and environmental review" refer to the tunnel box?
Correct, the tunnel box is the initial step in Gateway, necessary to preserve a section of future ROW.

No, construction of the tunnel box will start in a few weeks. The preliminary engineering and environmental review have been completed.
  by Thomas

Wouldn't you agree that Amtrak appears to have all of the things done in that paragraph? Also, how likely is it that Amtrak does not receive the necessary funds to begin major construction in 2017?
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:Wouldn't you agree that Amtrak appears to have all of the things done in that paragraph? Also, how likely is it that Amtrak does not receive the necessary funds to begin major construction in 2017?
Preliminary engineering and environmental review for the full Gateway project? No, not at all. The design contract is only out to bid now. I'm not sure about the environmental side.

Funding all depends on Congress and how much support Amtrak has there.
  by Thomas

I meant [quote="Don31"]Preliminary engineering and environmental review for the full Gateway project? No, not at all. The design contract is only out to bid now. I'm not sure about the environmental side.

Funding all depends on Congress and how much support Amtrak has there.[/quote)

I meant Amtrak appears to have all of the necessary steps to construct the tunnel box. What segment is for the other design contract?
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:I meant
Don31 wrote:Preliminary engineering and environmental review for the full Gateway project? No, not at all. The design contract is only out to bid now. I'm not sure about the environmental side.

Funding all depends on Congress and how much support Amtrak has there.[/quote)

I meant Amtrak appears to have all of the necessary steps to construct the tunnel box. What segment is for the other design contract?
Right, Amtrak has completed all the steps for the tunnel box. Construction is supposed to start in a few weeks. I'm under the impression that the contract out to bid now is for the remainder, but this is only what I've heard unofficially. I don't want to speculate.
  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:Right, Amtrak has completed all the steps for the tunnel box. Construction is supposed to start in a few weeks. I'm under the impression that the contract out to bid now is for the remainder, but this is only what I've heard unofficially. I don't want to speculate.
"The contract is out for the remainder" referring to the rest of the entire Gateway Segment, or just certain parts?

Also, did you read my PM?
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:
Don31 wrote:Right, Amtrak has completed all the steps for the tunnel box. Construction is supposed to start in a few weeks. I'm under the impression that the contract out to bid now is for the remainder, but this is only what I've heard unofficially. I don't want to speculate.
"The contract is out for the remainder" referring to the rest of the entire Gateway Segment, or just certain parts?

Also, did you read my PM?
Right, I believe its for the entire Gateway, but I'm not certain.

Yep, saw your PM and replied.
  by Thomas

The press stated that the tunnel box that will begin construction soon will be 800 feet long. But, if one looks at Amtrak's documents, it is actually 851 feet long. Therefore, does that mean that the tunnel box will extend WEST of 11th avenue? If so, how deep will the tunnel box be at that point?
  by lirr42

What's the point of dredging this up for a mere 51 feet? Since when has the press gotten anything right in the first place?
  by KEN PATRICK

has the old high-line access viaduct been removed? ken patrick
  by Thomas

KEN PATRICK wrote:has the old high-line access viaduct been removed? ken patrick
I think that this will be removed at a later date.

Is it likely for the tunnel box to eventually be extended to 12th avenue--or will bored tunnels meet up with the tunnel boxes at 11th avenue?

How shallow can tunnel boring machines bore?
  by Don31

Thomas wrote:
KEN PATRICK wrote:has the old high-line access viaduct been removed? ken patrick
I think that this will be removed at a later date.

Is it likely for the tunnel box to eventually be extended to 12th avenue--or will bored tunnels meet up with the tunnel boxes at 11th avenue?

How shallow can tunnel boring machines bore?
NO. The tunnel box will not be extended to 12th Avenue, there is no reason to do so.

It all depends on whether the TBM is in rock or soft earth, but the rule of thumb is that a tunnel requires at least one diameter of cover. You can get away with less in certain circumstances.
  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:NO. The tunnel box will not be extended to 12th Avenue, there is no reason to do so.

It all depends on whether the TBM is in rock or soft earth, but the rule of thumb is that a tunnel requires at least one diameter of cover. You can get away with less in certain circumstances.
Are you saying that once Gateway gets full funding, that bored tunnels coming from New Jersey--using tunnel boring machines--will eventually meet up with the box tunnel at 11th avenue?
  by 25Hz

The elevated line will remain intact, and has funding for conversion to a park which has all ready begun. Again something totally unrelated to gateway.
  by 25Hz

Thomas wrote:
Don31 wrote:NO. The tunnel box will not be extended to 12th Avenue, there is no reason to do so.

Are you saying that once Gateway gets full funding, that bored tunnels coming from New Jersey--using tunnel boring machines--will eventually meet up with the box tunnel at 11th avenue?
Soft ground TBM's cannot dig through solid rock. It will most likely require blasting and grouting etc etc. If you use logic, you can answer a lot of your own questions.