• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by kaseytrainfan26

Leo_Ames wrote:Where's the defect detector located in Potsdam?
Its where the old runaround siding is just before the bridge next to the downtown by pass.
  by CPSmith

Need a little help from the Montreal Secondary experts...

I believe the station in the photo to be Lacona. Today's bird's eye views and street level views show a nicely painted structure. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
  by BR&P

CPS. when you enlarge the heck out of the pic, it shows a Block Limit sign at left. I'm not familiar with where those were located on that line but maybe that will help.
  by nickstowell

CPSmith wrote:Need a little help from the Montreal Secondary experts...

I believe the station in the photo to be Lacona. Today's bird's eye views and street level views show a nicely painted structure. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Yes this is Lacona, Pic maybe from the 70s or early 80s. The village bought the depot and restored it and is now the village office. Right behind the Depot in the red building is the P.O, and the building down further by the tracks is the old Freight house.
  by CPSmith

Yes, thanks to all. I failed to mention the photo date of July 1987 - sorry. It appears to be block limit "CONA" - hard to tell with the pixilation.

Here's Pierrepont Manor from the same trip. More to come - we're headed along Route 11 to Rouses Point, then north to Montreal.
  by CPSmith

Still July 1987 - this one's a stumper. We're north of Pierrepont Manor and south (I believe) of Massey Yard.

Adams, Adams Center, North Adams ? Nothing on Bing or Google matches up - moved, demolished, other ? Wrong location ? (The next photo is Waddington)

The only clue is the milepost near the road and I can't tell what it is. The slide may be reversed as well.
  by BR&P

CPSmith wrote: The slide may be reversed as well.
Blown up 300%, it appears the tallest crossing gate assembly is on the near side of the road, indicating the slide is reversed as you suspect. Perhaps the curve in the track can confirm a location, or at least eliminate some of the choices.
  by tree68

The Adams Center station was virtually doubled in size a few years ago, and last I knew, housed a restaurant.
  by johnpbarlow

Announced by CSX 8/16/16:

http://www.joc.com/rail-intermodal/clas ... 60816.html

Excerpt:
CSX’s Salaberry-de-Valleyfield terminal, which opened last summer, is the first of its kind to offer north-south service to intermodal shippers out of Montreal, railway spokeswoman Melanie Cost told JOC.com Tuesday. The terminal allows shippers to bypass longer reroutes through the Great Lakes via Toronto and Chicago with lanes lanes connecting Montreal along the U.S. East Coast to Florida, northwest Ohio — home of a major CSX hub — and St. Louis.
Apparently there will be at least 2 new trains: Atlanta to Valleyfield Q192 (first one departed Atlanta on 8/16) and VF to Atlanta Q193 - trains operate via Little Ferry, NJ. And rumor has it a new train pair between New Baltimore, OH and VF should be starting up soon.?
  by joha107

FIrst Q192 is on it's way, second one looks like it was annulled, we will see what happens with today's Q192. Q192 looks like it will run north on the same timeframe as Q152 did when it gets to Syracuse, first Q192 is scheduled to run up the St. Lawrence on early Friday morning. I anticipate Q153 running for the next couple days before being switched to the new Q193 schedule, which will look very similar as far as run times. Q018 has also switched to running all the way to Valleyfield instead of terminating at Syracuse, first run is expected to be this afternoon, not sure how cars from Q018 are going to return, maybe back on Q153/Q193.