• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Noel Weaver

The Central was able to use coal north of Malone to Montreal and they also used Rutland rails to run between Norwood and Malone and could run coal burners that way as well. I think the Adirondack was restricted as to heavier steam power but the St. Lawrence and the Rutland was able to accommodate heavier power. I might have some old employee timetables for this area but they are not handy right now. There is a photo of the Malone coal tower in at least one book as well although I don't recall just what book it was in.
Noel Weaver
  by Bigt

Noel is correct. The Rutland ran Mikados (their heaviest power) through Malone to Norwood. And,
the NYC also ran Mikados up here. They may have ran heavier power as well. I have a couple of old
time books from the early '40s which belonged to a Norwood based engineer that clearly indicate the
H6 class Mikes were used up here. They appear to have been used "north and south" out of Norwood.

I believe Nimke's volumes on the Rutland, specifically the two volumes on the O&LC Division, may show
the tower in question.
  by Leo_Ames

The Rutland's Mountains routinely operated on the Ogdensburg Subdivision. Other than a 2 ton reduction in coal capacity due to 90' turntables and the larger size of the locomotive limiting the size of the tender, they were heavier in every regard than their 2-8-2's.

Heavy enough in fact where weight restrictions forced Rutland to not tie on a helper until Rouses Point for the 25 mile grade west of Mooers, so as to not tax the Lake Champlain trestle.
  by BR&P

Speaking of Malone, I've seen pics in books and also I believe in old NYCHS Headlight bulletins, taken by a Ray McKnight at Malone. I believe he and/or his father worked for NYC there. Since they go back quite a way, I'm guessing Mr. McKnight is no longer with us. Any idea what may have been done with his photo collection? Sometimes the pics not deemed "good enough" for publication contain great views and information not otherwise available.
  by kaseytrainfan26

Two new trains will be coming through starting on or around August 15th. Hot priority intermodal traffic. Hence why there is a 10:00 am curfew down by pulaski due to track work, UPS trailers are gonna be coming through, runnning straight to massena no stopping, recrew in massena and then right off to valley field PQ. No tying the train down, straight shot to canada plus a recrew in massena. Business is picking up! Source is from a massena carman and a couple engineers, as a cab driver for the railroad i get to hear things like this. Good to hear this news!
  by pumpers

Hope this isn't a joke! It sounds too good. From and to where? DeWitt? Selkirk? I wonder if they will be on the 28 hour cycle or whatever it is on CSX these days. JS
  by nickstowell

Thanks for the update. I live here in the sandy creek area and all week noticed 2 sets of work crews working north of Lacona and in the Richland area. some times work crews were out well after 10pm. Maybe someday we will see speeds back up to 40mph agine. Its been 25mph since the mid 2000s. All grade crossings in the area were redone on this maintenance blitz. During this work, trains times are still as they are before this work started, and Q621 was called L621 on some occasions. I am not able to go track side much anymore, but glad to see the line growing more traffic. I have notice on some occasions CN units on the Q620 and Q621. Thanks.
  by kaseytrainfan26

I do not know where from but they are going to the intermodal facility in valleyfield. An engineer told me the symbol will be a Q19o something or other, a 190's number anyway. Bother trains will be a Q19? i use a question mark because they arent set in stone symbols yet
  by Leo_Ames

There's easy access to the coal tower in Malone from the highway, with a dirt path through the woods that appears frequented by ATV's.

While not of the type that would be a model railroader's dream like some Fairbanks Morse goliath with enough capacity to keep a fleet of articulateds supplied with coal for days at a time before having to be replenished, it's worth a look for anyone that's never seen it next time you're in Malone.

As is the nearby New York Central station, which even seems to have its original platform intact.
  by joha107

Interesting news, I'll be curious to see how this plays out, if I had to guess, I'd say it will be run like Q152 and Q153 currently are where the intermodal comes into and out of DeWitt on other trains and is assembled at DeWitt for the run north. I had thought the trackwork curfew was just for regular maintenance, but maybe it is to knock out the last stretch of 25 mph between Pulaski and Adams Center. CSX has put in a few new additional defect detectors in the last couple years, I know there is now one in Potsdam and I think there is one in Adams Center.