• Train for the movie "Unstoppable" filming on the WNYP.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Westfolk

Tom6921 wrote:Any idea when this movie will be released and if it will be a made-for-TV movie, straight to DVD, or be released in theatres?
Scheduled release is 11-12-2010....subject to change.
  by Westfolk

Benjamin Maggi wrote:
Westfolk wrote: All they did was stop the train and hook the engines that ran up behind, then run it all back south.
If they are filming the train going in both directions in essentially push/pull mode, won't the movie look strange in that half the time the front train cars will be shown behind the engines with the shade in one direction and other times the rear cars will suddenly "jump" behind the engines and the shadows reverse? Or is it a unit train like a double stack where if all the containers match no one will no the difference?
All the time that I have been watching they are filming ONLY when it is southbound. The exception to this is when they filmed the crash scenes in Turtlepoint....they filmed northbound that day. It is the only time I know they were filming with the engines/train running north. Of course, they have to run the thing north in order to do another take headed south. I am sure there will be errors in the movie.....few don't screw something up.
  by Westfolk

As a note. Today as I was driving around trying to get pics/video of the two sets of engines....777 & 767 sitting side by side, or at least next to each other, to prove that there are in fact two sets painted the same......I was told by one of the production guys that I need to do a little better job of finding them. Because, he said there is 3...sets painted the same. Which is possible and makes sense for what they are doing. Also, in less you saw them together you would never know that it wasn't the same two engines in a set, and that there wasn't any others.

So, now my goal is to first prove that there is a set of twins...(forgettin the videos from a couple weeks ago, that if you follow the sequence of things)....and then prove that there is a third set..........
  by lvrr325

If you can get close enough legally to read the builder's plates, you may have to check serial numbers on each one, or take some chalk and mark a line on the fuel tank or something - not something obvious like big letters reading "Set #1" that the movie people would wipe off, just like a horizontal line would do it - one set high on the tank, one in the middle, and if there's a third, make a line at the bottom.
  by Westfolk

lvrr325 wrote:If you can get close enough legally to read the builder's plates, you may have to check serial numbers on each one, or take some chalk and mark a line on the fuel tank or something - not something obvious like big letters reading "Set #1" that the movie people would wipe off, just like a horizontal line would do it - one set high on the tank, one in the middle, and if there's a third, make a line at the bottom.

You know....you just gave me an idea. Maybe, and that's just it, maybe if I can spot them in one day. What I could do is film from a ways back showing what it is...777 and 767...then walk in showing the builder's plate. Not quite the same as a video of them all sitting next to each other. However, it would prove that they are in fact different engines....they just look the same. I'll have to find some guys that are easy going and I might be able to do it. Alot of the guys working on this are decent. I've only ran into a couple that acted like I shouldn't even be allowed to drive around the place...overlooking the fact THEY are in my town.

I know there are two sets. Just the other day one set was running back in forth during filming. While at the same time 5 miles east the other set was sitting hooked to another consist in Port Allegany. So I know there are two sets. But after being told there is a third set????? Who knows the guy might have been yanking my chain. I'll just do like he said....do a little better job of looking for them.
  by Westfolk

sd80mac wrote:
dieselsgirlfriend wrote:the locos are AC4400CW
in Youtube, the guy who took video, said that there are "twins" with same numbers on it - 777 and 767. It showed 4 of AC4400CW. I tried to look at the number to see if they are actually the same as another locos but video was not sharp to see the numbers.

can any one confirm this?

Here you have it.

Now, I want someone to come up with the CP numbers for all four engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQ8xUxj7zk
  by MP366

I can confirm the existence of at least two 777's and 767's, but you'll have to take my word for it as I still shoot film. One set was being used to film and the other set was on a spur south of Port A last Friday.
  by Spassky38

As I know this Film is based on a runaway train and the measures taken to stop it before damages occur as a result of the train. Filming for the movie began last month in Ohio, and WNYP track will be used in Olean and through Pennsylvania including Emporium, Eldred and Port Allegany this week, where schools and students will also be filmed. This film has action, drama, thriller and this will expected to be released on November 2010 and involves a rail company's workers trying to stop an unmanned train carrying toxins before it derails and wipes out an area. WNYP was found tracks predominantly in Pennsylvania. One of the officer of Century fox said that the track to be used in the film is Class I, mainline quality that had speeds and signals film crews were looking for, in addition to "the lay of the land." The question now is how long they will use this railroad?
  by scharnhorst

are there units being leased from CP Rail or did some one buy them from CP Rail Out right??
  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, if the units get wrecked in the film [I don't know if that will happen or not, but it could since the premise involves a train wreck] I bet that the units aren't leased!