• Train for the movie "Unstoppable" filming on the WNYP.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by blabey

In connection with S4ny's comment above regarding derailers, that scene is based on something that occurred in the "real" 8888 runaway on CSX in Ohio. CSX actually used derailers in an attempt to stop their out-of-control train -- and like the scene in the movie, the power blasted right through without derailing.

Similarly, the scene in "Unstoppable" showing police trying to shoot the locomotive fuel cutoff is also based on an incident in the "real" runaway. As in the movie, this ploy wasn't successful.

However, I do find is completely unrealistic when cars and onlookers all around the proposed derailment site as the train goes by. If the locomotives had derailed as intended, many of the spectators would have been killed or maimed in the resulting pile-up. No railroad would allow spectators to be anywhere near such a site.
  by Scott K

I thought the same thing about all of the people and vehicles so close to the potential wreck sites.

As for the crossing gates still coming down as the train was passing, I think the filmmakers were implying that the train was going so fast that they didn't have time to get all the way down before it passed. Just more cinematic license.

I also noticed the same mile marker used at least twice with two different numbers on it.

Scott K.
  by glennk419

blabey wrote:As information, the Blu-Ray and Digital DVD for "Unstoppable" is now released.
And now part of my library. :)
  by SemperFidelis

Getting a copy for my boys, as well.

Also recommended is "Runaway Train" by Akira Kurasawa (sp?) with John Voight.
  by glennk419

And let's not forget our all time favorite - Silver Streak.

I now digress to the topic at hand.