• Track worker accident 11/30

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah someone over at the MBTA forum mentioned this here, I wonder what could have caused the crash whether it was poor overall conditions or something.

by Mike Morris

I examined the train this morning(3008)
I would say it was operator error from what I know. The train has a huge dent in the front from impact. Had it been going slow like it should have been(5-15MPH due to hitting the mushroom) it would have been bloody.

Metro knows how fast it was going but is not saying. The "box" in the train failed so internally there is no way to say

by Robert Paniagua

Oh no! The Box (activity log recorder) failed? I wonder how....

by Mike Morris

ATC box was faulty. Not sure whose fault it was since its an Astom rehab still under warranty. In fact I worked on this train 3 months ago. Was due in for another batch of FMIs.
Operator error concerning the accident. She was going appox 40 MPH. Train was in manual since other track was being worked on.

by Sand Box John

WMATA press release Metro establishes stricter safety measures for track workers

For immediate release: December 12, 2006

Metro establishes stricter safety measures for track workers

Metro officials established new stricter measures to protect employees in the wake of the recent deaths of two track inspectors who were struck by a train last month. The new safety steps were instituted earlier today.

"These safety enhancements were designed with one goal in mind, to protect the safety of our employees," said Jack Requa, Metro’s Acting General Manager. "We have an obligation to do what we can to protect our employees and we believe these additional safety measures will provide the added layers of protection so that at the end of the work day, everyone goes home to their families."

Starting today, track inspectors will inspect the rails between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. when fewer trains are on the tracks.

Starting tomorrow (Wednesday), track inspectors must call the Operations Control Center to alert officials when the workers are at a rail station. The inspectors will state that they are at a specific site location so that the control center staff will slow trains in that area to no greater than 20 mph when a train gets within 600 feet of the employees. The trains will not pass until they receive a signal from the track inspectors to do so and they will not resume their normal speeds until the entire train has passed the location where the track inspectors are working.

In locations where Metrorail trains share one track, the Operations Control Center will advise train operators that track inspectors are walking in the immediate area to allow train operators to pay closer attention to the sites where the inspectors are working. When there is a close clearance or near portals and/or curves that may obstruct a clear line of sight, the same rules apply when trains share one track, or "single-track."

Additionally, flagmen will also be positioned at the specific work site to let train operators know personnel are in the area. Track inspectors can request to have a section of track closed down until the inspection is complete to ensure the workers are in an area clear of any trains.

"These are initial steps, coming out of our investigation," Mr. Requa said. "We have worked very closely with the NTSB since November 30 to develop stronger safeguards, and if we come up with additional ways to enhance safety, we will do so. We shared these enhancements with ATU Local 689 leadership yesterday, including incoming Union President Jackie Jeter. We look forward to working with Local 689 and the Joint Labor Management Council."

by Robert Paniagua

That's a good move by WMATA Management. However they should slap all trains with a 10-code for 10mph like here in Boston's Red/Orange Lines when there are track workers around. I mean, there was that track worker on the northwest Red Line and now this one in the same year. That gives Metro a bad image, so hopefully these new regulations and procedures will help the situation with track gangs.

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
That's a good move by WMATA Management. However they should slap all trains with a 10-code for 10mph like here in Boston's Red/Orange Lines when there are track workers around. I mean, there was that track worker on the northwest Red Line and now this one in the same year. That gives Metro a bad image, so hopefully these new regulations and procedures will help the situation with track gangs.

I don’t know if control will remotely reset the limited speed commands where employees are on the ground. One could considered that to be over kill, however reseting the limited speed commands does add another level redundancy to keeping the area safe for people working on the ground.

I'm kind of curious as to the exact way central will plot the locations and times of the employees on the ground. I'm also curious if central will generate a log of those plots as well as logging the communications to and from employees on the ground and to train operators.

by gprimr1

Don't they use train spotters? I know on Amtrak they have people who watch for trains and have "W" signs they hold up telling the train engineer to whistle.

In the NY subway i saw a track gang hang a red lantern for approaching trains to see.

by Sand Box John

"gprimr1"
Don't they use train spotters? I know on Amtrak they have people who watch for trains and have "W" signs they hold up telling the train engineer to whistle.

In the NY subway i saw a track gang hang a red lantern for approaching trains to see.

What you are describing is applicable to a stationary work area where multiple employees are working.

by Mike Morris

I will have John post some pics that are not gruesome of this train in a day or so..

by Sand Box John

by Robert Paniagua

Looks like that car seems to be in good condition especially outside, but the damage to the undercarriage maybe an issue.

by Mike Morris

The train was never fixed-back in revenue!
  by PRR Trackman

Mr. Morris, how can you say operator error in the incident with the 2 track walkers. Don't you think the track walkers should have been looking out in both directions for train traffic. If I am walking track I certainly will be looking out in both directions...