• Track worker accident 11/30

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Mike Morris

Easy.
The train was suppose to stop. Due to the fact the operator was on the cell phone and traveling at around 40MPH she didn't have time to stop nor did she hear the command to stop. The train at that point was in manual.

by Robert Paniagua

OOps, she shouldnt have been using a cellphone at the time where track workers are present.

by PRR Trackman

Why was she supposed to stop???

She was being routed back to the yard and the train was in automatic. As far as the cell phone, my experience with WMATA operators is NEVER trust them to save my life. I have personnely observed them sleeping at the controls at least 500 times. Mr. Cherry being a 30 yr vetern I am sure he had observed as many sleeping at the controls as myself.

The track walkers should have been looking in both directions. My 29yrs of walking track for various railroads tells me a train can: 1. Run on any track. 2. At anytime. 3. And in any direction.

The track walkers let their guard down.

by Mike Morris

Train was manual. Operator was told to stop.