Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#582906  by PHS79

Hi everyone, as the title states I am applying for a conductor trainee postion with BNSF, they have 8 positions open at a yard about 15miles from my home. Here is a little background on myself, I am a carpenter, 29 years old, married and we are expecting our first child. I graduated high school in 98 and went to a tech college where I graduated from their carpentery cousre in 99. I then worked for a remodeling contractor from august of 99 until april of 02 when I took a job with a local home builder and I have worked with them every since. But now with construction slowing down and with a little one on the way I think it might be time to make a career change.

I have never had to write a resume before and don't know where to start with things like format and wording. Any advice would be great!!! I know that I should say something about how I am no stranger to working in bad weather since I have worked in everything from -20 degs. with -30 windchills, to 100+ deg. heat, also in snow and rain. Plus I also beleive that I should mention that I run heavy equipment, like Bocats, genie lifts, and telehandlers on a regular basis (all most every day when we are framing).

Also what else should I know of about BNSF's application and interveiw process?
 #582952  by capt251978

i recently applied for a yard job with bnsf. i passed the intervew and got a conditional offer of employment, i passed the strength test, drug screen and physical and am currently waiting on my call to start work. the position is 6 hours from my current home and soem unforseen circumstances have devoloped. the circumstances are as follows.... My 11 year old daughter and her mother have recently returned from exile (mississippi) and their housing situation is currently up in the air. My current wife is pregnant and we are awaiting the birth of a baby girl in december. My stepdaughter (3 yo) has been suffering from medical issues. And i finally made the last payment on the home we currently live in, so it is paid off. When i started the process for employment with bnsf i had no clue that these things would arise. Even though i am very intersted in starting a carrer with bnsf, it could not have come at a worse time. My question for all of you is quite simple....... If i decline the position at this time, what is the possibilty of being offered a job at a future time? Since i have already been through the process and have the job, will bnsf consider me for employment later when my personal affairs would allow
so, or will this disqualify me in the future. any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
 #582954  by jz441

If you decline their offer, chances are pretty low that they will consider you in the future. :(
 #582987  by Xponder

BNSF isn't going to be compasonate. Unless you have strong family ties within BNSF management they will simply step to the next in line and hire them. You, on the other hand, will probably be barred forever from employment with BNSF.

I hope everthing works out in your situation. I hope you will be taking the job, you gotta work somewhere.
 #582989  by Xponder

BNSF isn't going to be compasonate. Unless you have strong family ties within BNSF management they will simply step to the next in line and hire them. You, on the other hand, will probably be barred forever from employment with BNSF.

I hope everthing works out in your situation. I hope you will be taking the job, you gotta work somewhere.
 #582990  by Xponder

#588862  by e.sillery

Here is the BNSF hiring process as I experienced it in 2007. You go to the hiring session and listen to them tell you about the company and what the job entails. Pay attention to this part. They are going to try and scare you away but what they are saying is the truth. You will then take a basic math and reading test, based on about an 8th or 9th grade level. Everyone that passes that will be given a personality test. Just think safe. (You would prefer to sit home and read a book than go skydiving) They will interview those that pass that test. They will take a hair sample for a drug test.

Within a week you will get an email telling you that you have been declined or you are invited to continue with the process. If not turned down you will recieve email from a company that does their medical. They will set up your physical and eyesight test in the next week or two. Then you will be sent for a hearing test. If you pass those you will recieve another email a couple of weeks later scheduling your strength test. A week or two after that you will recieve an email telling if you are going to be offered a position. If you are they will tell you who to call and what your start date is. I got mine on a Monday and my start date was the following Monday. When I get to work that afternoon I told my boss I had been hired by BNSF and Saturday would be my last day. On Wednesday I got a call from BNSF telling me that my class had been cancelled and my job offer was only good for 6 months, sorry. From interview to start date was about 2 1/2 months. It is not a quick process.

They will tell you not to give a notice to your current employer and I would suggest you listen to them. You never know if you will actually get the job until you start working.

I was a conductor with NS and have some experience with the work involved. Yes you will get called out at 3am. You will get called out at 3pm. You will get called out at 8pm. When you are called you have 90 mins to report to work. My wife and I would drive two vehicles if there was a possiblity I would be called out while we went out for dinner. Several times I would have to get them to make mine to go and leave my wife sitting in the resteraunt because I was 3 or 4 out when we left the house but several people marked off or didn't answer the phone.

It is a job I loved and am trying desperately to get back into. The benefits are great but the people are what made the job enjoyable for me. It is a lot like the military, everyone is in the same boat so they stick together.
 #590470  by kchladek

Hi guys,

My name is Kevin and im 20 yrs of age. I just recently applied at BNSF for a conductor position. Can you guys tell me how this hiring processes works and if they would even consider my resume? i have no railroad experience at all, Im currently working for ups as a operation supervisor.

Thanks guys

KC
 #592830  by BlackNova

I am not a railfan. I never thought about working for the railroad before. Basically I never had an interest in the railroad. I am just getting out of the Air Force after a 6 year tour. I applied for a conductor trainee slot through BNSF since they are a military friendly company. I interviewed and got a conditional offer a couple days ago. After reading some of the posts here, I am finding out that it can be difficult to get a job with the railroad. I am very grateful they picked me up first time applying. Obviously I need to finish all the training to officially have a job, but I just feel very grateful right now. I have alot of questions being a newbie and all, and much of them have been answered reading the posts. There are a few things I could not find though. I saw a train the other day, and there were two different locomotives....a BNSF and a NS. What's the deal with that? Does the conductor have to do a thorough inspection of all the cars before they go on the road? After 100% pay status, whats the average yearly income of a conductor and an engineer?