Railroad Forums 

• Ownership of the LV and EL ROW North of Mortimer Junction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#516526  by Lehighton_Man

ah, i thought it came off that line that is like viewed as crossing the LV at a diamond. i was scratching my head trying to figure out where the switch woulda been for such a tight curve.
Thanks for the info Otto.
South of the area, the remaining LV portion is used for car storage?
Thanks,
Sean

#516553  by BR&P

No, it extends south a few miles to serve a couple customers.

#516682  by lvrr325

an auction lot of copies of original LV blueprints for the Rochester area occasionally turns up on eBay, some of them include parts of the Erie branch too.

#516808  by Otto Vondrak

Sean- the remainder of the branch to Henrietta is operated by the LAL. There is a grain customer and a lumber yard at the end of the branch.

http://lalrr.com/lal.html

-otto-

#516925  by nessman

Isn't there a fertilizer company at the end of the LV branch?

#516944  by Luther Brefo

There is High Point Mills and there is Matthews & Fields Lumber. M&F receives boxcars and lumber flats. HPM is not as busy as M&F and their business appears to be seasonal. They receive cars occasionally. These cars are filled with weed control ingredients or fertilizers. Silos don't automatically mean grain customer.

#516957  by Lehighton_Man

So the tracks that go over Lehigh Station Road there, thats the LA&L?
I've seen the Lumber Company and the Silos you guys are talking about, sometimes with a car or 2 underneath the silos, and about 2-3 cars in the lumber company.
Question though. Is that the Rochester Branch segiment or is it the main-line?
J/W
-- Sean

#516965  by TB Diamond

Lehighton:

That segment of track that terminates at Lehigh Station Road is a remnant of the Lehigh Valley RR Rochester Branch and is presently operated by the LA&L.

The Rochester Branch origionally ran from Rochester to Hemlock. The segment between Lima and Hemlock, 10 miles, was abandoned in 1968. The segment between Rochester and U of R, 1 mile, was abandoned in 1972. ConRail abandoned the branch between Rochester Jct. and Henrietta, 5.5 miles, on 15 Jan 1983 and between Lima and Rochester Jct., 6.0 miles, on 22 Mar 1983.

#517668  by Otto Vondrak

Sean, did you even look at the map or read the explanations above?

Here's another map that may also help you understand the segments we are talking about:

http://rochester-railfan.net/images/Maps/map_atlas.gif

-otto-

#517682  by Lehighton_Man

All i got with that last link Otto was that evil [X]
Thanks for the Information though. Very helpful.
Cheers.
Sean

#517688  by railwatcher

Otto, That link gave me the X also. Even with a right click and asking it to show the picture it is still the X

Greg

But it's ok with me, as I know where we are talking about.

#517692  by Otto Vondrak

Weird... the link comes up for me. Well, you can find the map by going to www.rochester-railfan.net click on the link to "MAPS" at the bottom and scroll down to the part where it says, "I have another map online - taken from the Steam Powered Video's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - North East USA edition. Click here to download it (large file - 614 kb)."

-otto-

#517694  by railwatcher

That worked, maybe the computer was being fickle.

:wink:

Greg

#517836  by RussNelson

Otto Vondrak wrote:Weird... the link comes up for me. Well, you can find the map by going to www.rochester-railfan.net click on the link to "MAPS" at the bottom and scroll down to the part where it says, "I have another map online - taken from the Steam Powered Video's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America - North East USA edition. Click here to download it (large file - 614 kb)."
The SPV 1995 edition map is pretty good, but it's missing a few subtle details, e.g. the line that used to go from Lewiston to the junction north of Model City is missing, as is the line going east of Hemlock, and the line going north from Cambria Station to Pekin. They just revised it last year and I'll betcha that edition has all those missing lines in it.

On the other hand .... I *did* learn about the Springville and Sardinia railroad from that map .... none of us know everything.