Railroad Forums 

• Dock Bridge - Passaic River

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#482259  by snavely

I heard that there were delays out of Newark Penn this morning due to Dock draw being open to allow passage of marine traffic. Anyone know what went through? The Passaic River rarely sees large vessel movement anymore and Dock rarely opens, AFAIK.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited thread title.

#482296  by rhemler

it was a garage barge. We were delayed train #1145 at HX for that bridge opening for the same traffic

#482309  by ajt

???

DOCK and HX do not span the same river.
 #482322  by Ken W2KB

snavely wrote:I heard that there were delays out of Newark Penn this morning due to Dock draw being open to allow passage of marine traffic. Anyone know what went through? The Passaic River rarely sees large vessel movement anymore and Dock rarely opens, AFAIK.
The NJT Alert mentioned Portal Draw which is the Hackensack River; Dock is the Passaic.

My recollection is that the Coast Guard regulations do/did not require bridge openings for either during peak train hours except for (1) emergencies, or (2) public vessels of the US.

#482343  by snavely

OK, Portal makes sense. The traffic reporter I heard on the radio said it was "the drawbridge at Newark Penn Station". I couldn't imagine Dock being opened in rush hour, plus the river has shoaled up so much (Corps of Engineers no longer maintains the channel) that it's hard to think of something passing under large enough to require an opening.

#482354  by Jtgshu

when the 280 drawbridge was getting worked on last year, they had to open the Passaic River Drawbridge several times for the construction barge/crane to go through.

#482357  by thebigc

Jtgshu wrote:when the 280 drawbridge was getting worked on last year, they had to open the Passaic River Drawbridge several times for the construction barge/crane to go through.
Now that there can get tricky!!

#482360  by ryanov

Aren't they still working on the 280 drawbridge? From looking at it from my window now, it looks like those shrouds aren't on the towers anymore, but it seems to me I was just through there and there was some major work going on.

#482559  by sullivan1985

rhemler wrote:it was a garage barge. We were delayed train #1145 at HX for that bridge opening for the same traffic
Unless a new canal was dug across Kearny, there is no way HX was held for the same river traffic as DOCK.

#482660  by thebigc

ryanov wrote:Aren't they still working on the 280 drawbridge? From looking at it from my window now, it looks like those shrouds aren't on the towers anymore, but it seems to me I was just through there and there was some major work going on.
They've been working on the Stickle for almost two years now. Right now, the two outer lanes are closed for no apparent reason. I guess they're waiting for the bunting to be delivered for the re-opening ceremony or something.

#484132  by KFC Jones

sullivan1985 wrote:
rhemler wrote:it was a garage barge. We were delayed train #1145 at HX for that bridge opening for the same traffic
Unless a new canal was dug across Kearny, there is no way HX was held for the same river traffic as DOCK.
Well, it could actually. (hint: think about it, but don't think too hard!) :-D
 #1204735  by R36 Combine Coach

I-280 Stickel Draw probably need not open, although when rebuilt in 2007 it remained a functional lift span.
 #1204768  by sixty-six

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I-280 Stickel Draw probably need not open, although when rebuilt in 2007 it remained a functional lift span.
That bridge still opens, as I saw a few weeks ago.
 #1204797  by OportRailfan

Passaic River Rat wrote:Anyone know if Dock needs to be opened to accommodate the dredging operation between Nutley and Lyndhurst?
I thought I heard something about an opening last night.