Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Grand Central Terminal Operations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1483178  by Patrick Boylan

bdawe wrote:
electricron wrote: And I suppose once LIRR enters Grand Central with many trains on a regular basis there will still be plenty of room for Amtrak too? LOL!
LIRR isn't going into the existing GCT. They're building a whole 'nuther GCT underneath GCT just for LIRR, so ya?
Backshophoss wrote: MTA/MN would be happy to see Amtrak return to NY Penn in Sept,they need the platform space back,ESA has made hash of the lower level loop
and yard space to allow Elevator/Escalator/Stair space to the deeper LIRR platforms.
bdawe, that was my first reaction, but if Mr Hoss is correct and ESA's already disrupted GCT tracks and platforms then there should be a space issue now.
 #1483181  by DutchRailnut

the ESA project has left GCT without a few platforms during the construction, but the net loss is in yard tracks.
So now a lot of tunnel slots are occupied by deadheads leaving for other yards like Harmon, High bridge and Stamford.
plus in evening the reverse happens when trains come back to GCT for evening rush.
 #1485165  by scoostraw

Guys, there is going to be a concert at Grand Central later today. Does anyone know where exactly this is?
Attachments:
DmgGFOrU4AA6okv.jpg
DmgGFOrU4AA6okv.jpg (210.67 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
 #1485167  by Ridgefielder

scoostraw wrote:Guys, there is going to be a concert at Grand Central later today. Does anyone know where exactly this is?
Old Main Waiting Room, now called Vanderbilt Hall. 42nd St. side of the building. Camera is facing east toward Lexington; the west half of the room is taken up by the Great Northern Food Hall.
 #1485218  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I don't know why they don't just go 3rd rail EMU for the Empire trains, with a m' u able diesel tacked on to start once clear.
There was a long period when EMU trains from Waterloo to Bournemouth had a diesel engine attached to take them on to Weymouth. I think half the train from London was left behind in Bournemouth. This practice ended when the third rail was extended to Weymouth.
 #1485231  by east point

For reasons not fully understood 3rd rail EMUs and dual mode locos are limited to about 90 - 100 MPH. Amtrak wants 125 eventually and 110 MPH locos now. Evidently there are pick up problems from 3rd rail at higher speeds. Pick up shoe bounce causing air gaps that interrupt power to electronics because of too low voltage and too high Amps burning up shoes. . .
 #1485232  by DutchRailnut

problem is gaping , ever try to interrupt power flow of 2000 amp at 700 volt ??? its like 600 super welders . max speed for single third rail unit is about 60 mph
Emu 8 shoes over 170 feet vs 6 shoes within 65 feet.
 #1485309  by STrRedWolf

DutchRailnut wrote:problem is gaping , ever try to interrupt power flow of 2000 amp at 700 volt ??? its like 600 super welders . max speed for single third rail unit is about 60 mph
Emu 8 shoes over 170 feet vs 6 shoes within 65 feet.
I wonder if under-running vs over-running third rail makes a difference. Metro-North is max 95 MPH and LIRR is 80 MPH. I forget which does what.
 #1485312  by Backshophoss

MN,NYC legacy Underrunning 3rd rail,Spring keeps shoe in contact.
LIRR,PRR legacy Overrunning 3rd rail,Gravity sometimes with a spring keeps shoe in contact. tends to arc more often due to weather conditions(ice/snow/
debris on top of 3rd rail)

By Now the Lake Shore should be running into NY Penn again,along with the rest of the Empire Service trains.
CSX trackwork blitz on the B&A might be forcing the bustition of Amtrak 448/449 between Boston-Albany. :( :( :(
 #1485661  by Erie-Lackawanna

STrRedWolf wrote:I wonder if under-running vs over-running third rail makes a difference. Metro-North is max 95 MPH and LIRR is 80 MPH. I forget which does what.
Metro-North maximum authorized speed in third rail territory is 75 mph.

Jim