Railroad Forums 

• Guilford yard in Billerica

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#186845  by JacobBruce

I drove by Iron Horse Park yesterday and noticed right under the street sign that it said "Private Way". Can people go down there and look around the yard or is it considered private property?
 #186923  by ProRail

There are several non-Guilford owned businesses located in the industrial park.

There are also a few railroad customers located there too. All of them involve transloading lumber and building products from rail to truck, or handling large loads such as telephone poles.

The area is served by the local LO-1 out of Lowell but service is not daily and not consistent.

But the property is patrolled by the B&M Railroad PD so be aware as you will be stopped if you are trespassing near any of the tracks.

#186981  by Porter Sq

Where does LO-1 engines Bunk down for the night? Sometimes I see the engines over between Gorham St and Medowcroft St Crossing but sometimes there not.

#187075  by rb

There were some Iron Horse pics on Nerail a few weeks ago. The cuts of cars delivered to the park a pretty impressive, and a good strategy for not continuing runs into Boston.
 #187096  by thebigham

Any engines stored there?

There used to be about 3 engines there years ago.

Thanks,

Chris

IHP

#187104  by MikeB

I posted a pic on Nerail a few days ago of a cut of boxcars on the new spur there. Is that the company that was formally located in West Cambridge? I took that photo from the edge of the parking lot in front of the Guilford offices.
 #187119  by JacobBruce

I just got back from there. I saw one engine in pretty bad shape. Colors looked like it was a great northern but before I could get real close I was meet by a very nice railroad police office and he kindly asked me to leave the area. Oh well maybe next time.
 #187795  by ProRail

Jacob Bruce stated:

"I just got back from there. I saw one engine in pretty bad shape. Colors looked like it was a great northern but before I could get real close
I was meet by a very nice railroad police officer and he kindly asked me to leave the area
. Oh well maybe next time."

See - I told the RRPD would be around. You didn't believe me.

For your information: There are 4 hulks left on the property:
MEC GP38's #259 and #262
An ex-Conrail GP40
And 1 Budd RDC with B&M logos that was in a head on collision 20+ years ago. Plus an assorment of 40' boxcars and 1 50' Milk Car that are used for parts storage by the Signal Dept.

But you can't see any of this stuff without trespassing. So don't bother.

(As to how I know - let's just say "membership" has its priviledges and its thus not illegal for me to be there.)

#188134  by aline1969

There is an old Maine Central engine mixed in with all the old MBTA buses.

I have gone there many times to see the buses/trolley buses...no one has said anything.

#188974  by MikeB

Same here.

#200238  by CSX Conductor

The only way that I can suggest would be "Search by Railroad" and then go through all the Guilford pics. :(

#200275  by MikeB

searth 'Billerica'

#200338  by CSX Conductor

MikeB wrote:searth 'Billerica'
Here's what I found by searching just using "Billerica".

#200940  by MikeB

Well they will certainly be in there and most likely near the beginning.