Railroad Forums 

• Potential PAR/PAS Traffic Growth

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1614763  by johnpbarlow

As I watch M426 pass the various B&A live cams, it appears on occasion that the block of cars bound for points east of Ayer will include bulkhead flats loaded with Irving lumber that likely came west on M427 to Selkirk a few days earlier - where would this be going?

Also, it appears that M426 runs east over the B&A on a regular schedule these days passing the Westfield cam generally between 2100 and 2300 each night (there have been a few post midnight passages). And, at least on a few occasions recently, M426 dwell time at Worcester has been reduced substantially with its departure up the Worcester Main occurring shortly after daybreak.
 #1614767  by jaymac

johnpbarlow wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 am As I watch M426 pass the various B&A live cams, it appears on occasion that the block of cars bound for points east of Ayer will include bulkhead flats loaded with Irving lumber that likely came west on M427 to Selkirk a few days earlier - where would this be going?

Also, it appears that M426 runs east over the B&A on a regular schedule these days passing the Westfield cam generally between 2100 and 2300 each night (there have been a few post midnight passages). And, at least on a few occasions recently, M426 dwell time at Worcester has been reduced substantially with its departure up the Worcester Main occurring shortly after daybreak.
On the 1st paragraph, there's the possibility that the Irving loads might have been bound for NS routing, but weren't set off for that.
On the 2nd paragraph, until recently, 426 would generally be onto the Worcester Main pre-0300 instead around daybreak, the exceptions having been P&W setoff issues and Worcester Main track-work windows.
 #1614771  by F74265A

Understanding the long term strategy here is useful. The reason I hope traffic is not too light in the near term is that sometimes class 1s suddenly lose interest in a project and pull back even after major investment. Csx intermodal’s abandonment of the McKees Rocks intermodal terminal 3 years after opening is one example. NS’s downgrading- ripping out newish ctc -of the DH south lines from Binghamton to sun bury is another. I really want the csx New England investment to succeed and grow traffic
 #1614776  by QB 52.32

This is too big, involves the regulatory and political worlds, and, to any implication of PSR in the mix, is occurring on the right side of the watershed. It will certainly increase traffic over Barbers, will very likely grow traffic, and will likely be a successful investment over the long run.
 #1614781  by RJDC85

I agree with the points made by QB52.32 and Newplylong- this is a modernization, then development effort that is being undertaken by CSX. With that being said, it's not just about the carloads/current state of the industries served, but also the marketing efforts being put forth by CSX (and also their shortline/regional partners in New England) to be able to lure business back to rail. Additionally, looking at news releases of industries that are putting money into expansion efforts in this region are all good signs for long term growth.
 #1614789  by QB 52.32

Good point, RJDC85, regarding CSX's investment spurring investment into existing or new customer/serving- facilities, and I would take it one step back noting the role private and public investment preceding and surrounding this played in spurring CSX's investment, and will likely play in how this unfolds over the long run. As has been said, "money makes the world go 'round".
 #1621643  by ST377

On the PAS side I'm hearing some rumblings of a dedicated trash train once the pig is moved to the B&A. Arrowhead at the Old Ford yard wants to move cars and trash traffic will continue to grow, so it's certainly a possibility.
 #1621647  by ST377

It's a good use for the AM09 pool when 264 and 265 vanish. I've heard some things on a few other locations that are being looked at for trash loading around Ayer and Fitchburg too. Nothing concrete, but shows the potential if they actually pan out.
 #1631224  by newpylong

I was told a new customer will be getting plastics on the Lowell Hill Industrial. Not sure if it will be the building next to Whittemore or something just past Shepard St.
 #1631263  by newpylong

yes they are down to just Whittemore. When I was there 3 customers got cars, those 2 then the one past it on the left. I believe now that building is not used by a company that would require rail service. My guess is it would be the building next to Whittemore. The other option is is the one directly past Shepard Street with the solar panels on the roof, if they built a pellet system to the track. If they did that the cars in front of Whittemore would need to be moved to get back there. Who knows.
 #1632829  by Cosakita18

It seems there may be a new customer in East Augusta on the Lower Road. Photos posted on the CSX Northeast railfans Facebook page shows two new spur tracks along with truck scales installed just south of Gold Star Feeds. Apparently a scrap transload site. Also, the spur into Performance Food Group has been cleared of overgrowth.
 #1634146  by johnpbarlow

It looks to me looks like improvements are being made at the Arrowhead trash unloading facility at Ayer. The area where the piggypacker works on the southernmost track appears to be freshly paved and it looks the northernmost 4th track (used for storage/staging) has been extended to the office.
Attachments:
PAS Arrowhead transload Ayer 120223 3.jpg
PAS Arrowhead transload Ayer 120223 3.jpg (247.04 KiB) Viewed 474 times
PAS Arrowhead transload Ayer 120223 2.jpg
PAS Arrowhead transload Ayer 120223 2.jpg (220.55 KiB) Viewed 474 times