Railroad Forums 

• BNSF TRAIN DISPATCHER

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#115865  by Komachi

Okay, here's an odd question for ya out of right field...

Do you need to have 20/20 vision to do the job? I ask, because my vision, CORRECTED, is 20/50 - 20/60. I know they have the huge map on one of the walls, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to see all the info. on the screen/map if I were to do a job like that. Do you have a miniature version of the system map (at least for the region served by the dispatching center) at your workstation, or would they mind a guy sitting at his desk tracking his trains with a pair of binoculars? My perscription has trifocals, so reading printouts and computer screens aren't much of a problem, but reading things at a distance can sometimes be difficult (why I upgraded from a 13" to a 24" TV, so I can watch my foreign films and more easily read the subtitles), depending on the size and font of the text.

No, I am not joking about this and yes I am seriously inquiring about it. I doubt I could get a job as a trainman with my eyes (always wanted to be an engineer when I was a kid), but given my experience as a radio DJ, I figure I might be able to do dispatching as a railroad-related job. Just wondering how important it is to read that map on the wall (which, I assume is a VERY important thing).
 #115960  by Fatal

Komachi wrote:Okay, here's an odd question for ya out of right field...

Do you need to have 20/20 vision to do the job? I ask, because my vision, CORRECTED, is 20/50 - 20/60. I know they have the huge map on one of the walls, and I'm not sure if I'd be able to see all the info. on the screen/map if I were to do a job like that. Do you have a miniature version of the system map (at least for the region served by the dispatching center) at your workstation, or would they mind a guy sitting at his desk tracking his trains with a pair of binoculars? My perscription has trifocals, so reading printouts and computer screens aren't much of a problem, but reading things at a distance can sometimes be difficult (why I upgraded from a 13" to a 24" TV, so I can watch my foreign films and more easily read the subtitles), depending on the size and font of the text.

No, I am not joking about this and yes I am seriously inquiring about it. I doubt I could get a job as a trainman with my eyes (always wanted to be an engineer when I was a kid), but given my experience as a radio DJ, I figure I might be able to do dispatching as a railroad-related job. Just wondering how important it is to read that map on the wall (which, I assume is a VERY important thing).
If you can read print-outs and a computer screen just fine, you shouldn't have any problems. As far as looking at a huge map on the wall, I haven't seen it in the time I've been there :-D . The only system map I have briefly looked at is the one in the timetables which are on your standard 8x11 sheet of paper. When they offer employment to you, you have to get a physical. Basically, if you can read the numbers in the machine at the DMV, you'll pass. Hope that helps and best of luck to you!
 #116014  by Komachi

Fatal,

Hey, thanks for the info., it's greatly appreciated. I've seen pictures of some of the new dispatching centers that have those huge LCD displays on one wall that shows train movements (similar to the old days when they had the map with the lights that crept along the routes, indicating train positions). Wasn't sure if that was the case or not.
 #116219  by Fatal

Komachi wrote:Fatal,

Hey, thanks for the info., it's greatly appreciated. I've seen pictures of some of the new dispatching centers that have those huge LCD displays on one wall that shows train movements (similar to the old days when they had the map with the lights that crept along the routes, indicating train positions). Wasn't sure if that was the case or not.
There are about 8 big LCD screens that show mainly statistics...nothing that affects what you are doing at the desk.
 #546266  by MB Cosy

Hello all,

I submitted my application to TCCD for the dispatcher position and I have a few questions.

- I was told after interviews BNSF selects about 10-15 for the 16 week class.
About how many complete the calls on average?
How many of those get offered jobs?
I live in the DFW area. Does anyone know if there are positions open here in the Fort Worth office or is it likely I'll be asked to relocate?

- Locations
As far as I can tell, the offices are loated in DFW, Kansas City,, Chicago and San Bernardino. Did I miss any?

- Class
Can someone give me an idea about what the class is like? Difficulty of material, volume, testing stuff like that?

I saw mention of th work environment but this thread was started in 2005. How hav things changed in the last 3 years?

Thanks