• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by wigwagfan

lirr415 wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:And according to the same person I referred to above, the train will be made mainly of converted baggage cars. Is Amtrak that short on equipment?
Its cheaper to put together a couple unused baggage cars full of desplays rather than take cars that could make revenue.
And would said baggage equipment be the former Artrain consist, later used by Disney for the "A Christmas Carol" special (which was hauled by Amtrak)?

Speaking of F40s (yeah, yeah, I know)...there is ONE F40PH that was purchased and is in Portland right now that I'm sure its owner would love to lend to Amtrak and have it restored...of course...that means getting rid of the red and orange paint it is sporting right now. And said owner also has connections to one SDP40F. But such is purely fantasy and not even worthy of rumormongering.
  by Tadman

Said owner has connections to a lot of neat stuff that has worn red/white/blue stripes...
  by justmejie

?

Speaking of F40s (yeah, yeah, I know)...there is ONE F40PH that was purchased and is in Portland right now that I'm sure its owner would love to lend to Amtrak and have it restored...of course...that means getting rid of the red and orange paint it is sporting right now. And said owner also has connections to one SDP40F. But such is purely fantasy and not even worthy of rumormongering.[/quote]

ive seen some pics of an f40 fitting that description and i know if i had one i would allow them to use it for their birthday celebration
  by Jtgshu

Call me crazy, but I don't think Amtrak would be looking for an F40 to lease when according to everything Ive seen, they still have title to a handful of complete F40s down in Delaware?????

It would be cool to see an AEM7 repainted into an older scheme as well, share the fun on the NEC!
  by gokeefe

Is this project possible because of the increase in revenues?

If that is the case it just goes to show how much things really have improved. Projects such as this would have been unimaginable just a few years ago. I'm hoping we'll see this trainset open to the public at South Station in Boston or perhaps even Portland (Maine).
  by Amtrak7

Jtgshu wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't think Amtrak would be looking for an F40 to lease when according to everything Ive seen, they still have title to a handful of complete F40s down in Delaware?????

It would be cool to see an AEM7 repainted into an older scheme as well, share the fun on the NEC!
Are those F40's in Delaware operational? I doubt they will do an AEM7, they're short on electrics. Plus an F40 doesn't fit into NYP, so I doubt this train will be brought there. We might get to see it in Newark, though. If not, definitely in PHL.
  by peanut1

I thought the F40's were able to fit? There's a photo on the internet I can retrieve of an F40 in Penn Station New York.
  by mtuandrew

Amtrak7 wrote:Are those F40's in Delaware operational? I doubt they will do an AEM7, they're short on electrics. Plus an F40 doesn't fit into NYP, so I doubt this train will be brought there. We might get to see it in Newark, though. If not, definitely in PHL.
The P40 does. ;) No reason they can't drag the consist sans-F40 to NYP on 66 or 67. Also, peanut1 has a point - does the F40 fit through the Empire Connection or the East River tubes?
  by DutchRailnut

No F40's are restricted south of Harmon and south of Gate/ north of Portal
  by Jtgshu

peanut1 wrote:I thought the F40's were able to fit? There's a photo on the internet I can retrieve of an F40 in Penn Station New York.
I think I know which photo you are thinking of (unless there is others out there) and it is mislabeled, and in fact was taken in 30th St. station in Philly, NOT NYP.
  by Jeff Smith

If any employee would like to post tour dates on our events page (which is back up and running) I would welcome them to do so.

I would ask though since there is some question as to events being employee only vs. open to public that you so specify in the event.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin
  by atsf sp

technically, Amtrak still rosters 9 F40s. 401-409. If they are trully dedicated which it sounds that they are, they will restor one of these which I do not think are in that bad of shape. 403 was brought into service for VRE for a while as V30. None though are in Phase III. So painting will have to be done.
  by DutchRailnut

http://members.trainorders.com/geoff_s/ ... x.html#F40

F40's Remaining on Amtrak Property

It would nicer if they activated and restored unit at North Carolina railway museum but:

Table key: Running Number..Paint Scheme...Operating Pool..Maintenance Base

401 IV SU WIL Stored, Wilmington DE (January 2010)
402 V SU DPF Stored, Bear DE (January 2010)
403 (VRE)SU (was VRE V30) Moved from Wilmington to unknown location (Trenton NJ June 2010)
404 IV SU DPF Stored, Bear DE (January 2010)
405 V SU Moved from Wilmington to unknown location (Trenton NJ June 2010)
406 IV SU BEE Stored, Beech Grove IN (September 2009)
407 V SU Moved from Wilmington to unknown location (Trenton NJ June 2010)
408 V SU DPF Stored, Bear DE (January 2010)
409 IV SU DPF Stored, Bear DE (January 2010)