• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by early80sNECguy

I would think Phase 3 is cheaper (a tad bit) for a fleet all around. Standard size and style striping, one body color (silver/Platinum Mist) and one accent color (black) for both cars AND locomotives! No fancy cutouts or colors. I doubt many really care what is applied to the outside of the car as long as it functions in a way comperable to the price one pays to sit in it. Heyday of the steamliner everything but the engine was a nice shiny silver/metal! Seemed to work just fine back then getting people from point a to b. Don't get me wrong I like a little spice/color to a car or engine, but I feel V is too "euro" for me. I don't understand it.........looks like something that should be on a tour boat at the Jersey shore. (LOL)
  by wigwagfan

Notwithstanding my personal opinion of such expenditures at taxpayer expense...

There's no reason to "fire up" an old F40PH. Amtrak still has F40 cab cars (without the baggage doors) that could be repainted into Phase III. Just stick a P42 at the other end of the train consist for motive power.

It works for "Day Out with Thomas", it can work for Amtrak too.
  by Matt Johnson

I think North Carolina's new color scheme on the Piedmont equipment looks great! Ditto for the Pacific Surfliners and the Cascades. Perhaps more state sponsored routes will mean more unique color schemes going forward.
  by Tadman

Erik Halstead, are you still alive? I haven't seen your posts for a while. Welcome back!
  by wigwagfan

I'm alive. Been working on other projects and not spending much time here.
  by Tom6921

Amtrak could borrow F40PH #307 from the North Carolina Transportation Museum.
  by Amtrak7

According to this post on Amtrak Unlimited, a trainset is being prepared that will conduct a year-long tour of the Amtrak system, starting National Train Day 2011.

Interesting!
  by DutchRailnut

ill give it a week before train is broken up due to defect or operational difficulties.
  by Tadman

MOD NOTE: Please, until we have substantiation from a named Amtrak employee,leave the F40PH revival stuff alone. We're getting dreadfully close to what our moderator emeritus called "fantasy island".
  by Amtrak7

And according to the same person I referred to above, the train will be made mainly of converted baggage cars. Is Amtrak that short on equipment?
  by SwingMan

Tadman wrote:MOD NOTE: Please, until we have substantiation from a named Amtrak employee,leave the F40PH revival stuff alone. We're getting dreadfully close to what our moderator emeritus called "fantasy island".

I can confirm the poster of that comment on AU is an Amtrak employee.
  by SwingMan

Amtrak7 wrote:And according to the same person I referred to above, the train will be made mainly of converted baggage cars. Is Amtrak that short on equipment?

Its cheaper to put together a couple unused baggage cars full of desplays rather than take cars that could make revenue.
  by Amtrak7

On May 1, 2011, Amtrak will kick off a year-long celebration honoring 40 years as America’s Railroad. For the past several months, a small dedicated group of employees has been organizing a wide range of activities that will touch every part of the system to mark this seminal event. The kick-off celebration will take place in May with National Train Day and Employee Appreciation Day, and will continue through May 2012. “All our employees — past and present — will be proud that most of the work is being done in-house,” said Vice President of Government Affairs and Corporate Communications Joe McHugh. “And why not? In addition to help us keep costs down, who better to tell our story and the promise of our future than the Amtrak family.” The company is currently compiling a commemorative book, Amtrak: An American Story, on the company’s history and its plans for the future. The book will feature photos and employee stories depicting Amtrak’s first 40 years. It will also contain a section dedicated to “A Day in the Life of Amtrak” comprised of many of the more than 2,000 photos submitted by Amtrak employees depicting 24 hours in the life of our company. In addition, an Emmy award-winning producer is working on a documentary illustrating the history of Amtrak and the importance of Amtrak to this country. Both of these items will be available for purchase. Concurrent with this work, Beech Grove is renovating surplus equipment and restoring one F-40, one P-40, three baggage cars, and an Amfleet food service car for a special 40th anniversary “museum train” that will travel across the country to many employee locations. The baggage cars will be turned into museum cars that will display exhibits of historic advertising, uniforms, photographs and other items of interest. The food service car will serve as a combination retail center and rotating exhibit space. Four locomotives are also being repainted in historic colors to mark the event. In recognition of employees past and present, the company is producing a video focused on the people who have helped make Amtrak America’s Railroad. The video will be made available to all employees. After the new year, and leading up to the start of the celebration, look for additional updates and details of anniversary events in various locations. Thanks for 40 great years!
Bolding by me.

Quoting Amtrak Ink, December 2010/January 2011. Looks like Amtrak is going all-out with their 40th, I wonder what they will do in 2021 with their 50th anniversary!
  by DutchRailnut

travel to employee locations ??? no mention of public displays.
  by Jtgshu

Thats awesome, especially with the restoring of an F40 and the special paint on a few other locos. Restoring an F40 shouldn't be a real big deal, im sure they still have plenty of spare parts in inventory, and if not, its not like an F40 is a special type of loco mechanically, those parts aren't hard to find. Anyway, weren't a few rebuilt just before they were all pulled from service and the rebuild program stopped back in what, 2003?

So what if its an employee only train? Im sure it will be shown to the public at some locations, at least the outside of it.

Its refreshing to see the railroad honoring its employees and hertiage, past, present and future. My RR can't even get an employee newsletter printed out anymore because some politico felt it was a waste of money and "the reason" for a fare increase a few years back :(