• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by blockline4180

mcmannors wrote:
Sorry, but working multilevels where I sign up 15 miles from my house after 11 am with weekends off is still better than the other scenario.
Thats the spirit!! :-D
  by cruiser939

mcmannors wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Train #807 today had a 7 car set with 4217, 6 Comet II's and Comet V 6064...Was ths one of the displaced RVL trains?
There hasn't been a 7 car set in Raritan for several months, maybe almost a year.
Several months, yes. Almost a year, no. I believe the 7 car sets disappeared back in mid-April.
  by mcmannors

cruiser939 wrote:
mcmannors wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Train #807 today had a 7 car set with 4217, 6 Comet II's and Comet V 6064...Was ths one of the displaced RVL trains?
There hasn't been a 7 car set in Raritan for several months, maybe almost a year.
Several months, yes. Almost a year, no. I believe the 7 car sets disappeared back in mid-April.
Oh ok. I don't recall the exact time frame since I never worked those sets, and at the time I signed up at night, well after they returned to the yard for the night. And my view of the yard was of the east end only, I couldn't tell how many cars were on each track. Plus, the consist sheet was usually missing by then as well. :-)
  by danny700

I saw the map that a poster on another thread posted and there is one station I would like to see restored, it probably won't happen though, but I would like to see the Hillside station restored for the simple reason that when people go to Newark Liberty Airport, people on the RVL don't have to change at Newark Penn. You could have shuttle buses go from the Station to Newark Airport and have them run every 10-15 minutes during Rush hour and every 20-30 minutes off-peak hours. Also, having Hillside restored would have some good benefits as well.

That's just my opinion.
  by oknazevad

I agree that an airport shuttle bus is a good idea, as it would save riders a bit of time from having to double back from Newark Penn.

But you could run it from the existing Union station, and not have to build what really would amounts to a all new station. As it stands, Union station is close enough to much of Hillside to provide that town with rail access. Another stop along the stretch of the Lehigh Line shared with NS and CSX would not go over too well with them, nor with the riders whose rides would become longer.
  by danny700

oknazevad wrote:I agree that an airport shuttle bus is a good idea, as it would save riders a bit of time from having to double back from Newark Penn.

But you could run it from the existing Union station, and not have to build what really would amounts to a all new station. As it stands, Union station is close enough to much of Hillside to provide that town with rail access. Another stop along the stretch of the Lehigh Line shared with NS and CSX would not go over too well with them, nor with the riders whose rides would become longer.
I see your point there. You can do it from the existing Union Station. From the station to the airport is 13 minutes via North Avenue. You're right, having the idea of having Hillside station restored would give NS and CSX coronaries.
  by PVRX1

4011, 4012, 4014, 4015, ?4019?, 4021, 4025 at Raritan and all consists are MLs.
  by cruiser939

PVRX1 wrote:4011, 4012, 4014, 4015, ?4019?, 4021, 4025 at Raritan and all consists are MLs.
We've already established that all Raritan sets are MLs. So, uh, thanks for the motive roster I guess.
  by Jtgshu

I do believe there are 10 ML train sets out in Raritan, so that means there are 10 PL42s, usually with a "spare" one in the engine house, along with a Geep
  by Kaback9

4032 is out on there or was last week, also think 4001 made an appearance.
  by cruiser939

Kaback9 wrote:4032 is out on there or was last week, also think 4001 made an appearance.
Awesome!

On a side note, I saw the 4628 last week. Does anybody else have useless information to share? Because this seems like the thread to post it in.
  by Kaback9

cruiser939 wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:4032 is out on there or was last week, also think 4001 made an appearance.
Awesome!

On a side note, I saw the 4628 last week. Does anybody else have useless information to share? Because this seems like the thread to post it in.
I know it is!
  by red92s

I'm sure there are a lot of Newark division engineers on here, so this is my shout out from the high performance driving school at TD Bank Ballpark in Bridgewater. The railroad is a nice distraction from training pharmaceutical reps for me. (As are the Haverhill line in Mass, Water Level Route in Syracuse, One of the Metra lines in Chicago, among others at sites we visit around the country)

Pretty cool day today on the RVL, as there was the following:

One train with 2 PL42s MUed

Work Geep with a string of Comets (None appeared to be cabs. Anyone know why they're going to Raritan?)

Presumably same work Geep with Hickory Creek and NYC 43 Tavern and Lounge. (Anyone know where those are going? Boonton?)
  by Jtgshu

red92s wrote:I'm sure there are a lot of Newark division engineers on here, so this is my shout out from the high performance driving school at TD Bank Ballpark in Bridgewater. The railroad is a nice distraction from training pharmaceutical reps for me. (As are the Haverhill line in Mass, Water Level Route in Syracuse, One of the Metra lines in Chicago, among others at sites we visit around the country)

Pretty cool day today on the RVL, as there was the following:

One train with 2 PL42s MUed

Work Geep with a string of Comets (None appeared to be cabs. Anyone know why they're going to Raritan?)

Presumably same work Geep with Hickory Creek and NYC 43 Tavern and Lounge. (Anyone know where those are going? Boonton?)
Oh wow!!! I love it when you guys are in the parking lot! Seeing those generic American Sedans actually being driven in fun manner is a nice distraction to me :) Ive always wanted to do one of those high performance driving schools they look like so much fun! I was working out there about 3 weeks ago when there was a class going on in the parking lot. I was jealous :)

I received a report that the Comets were Comet 3s from the MMC - why they went out to Raritan, i have no idea. It was the same loco, the 4302 I think it was, that brought back the two private cars, they are stored up in Lebanon on a siding at the station. I believe i read somewhere that they are going to be in Philly for National Train Day this Saturday so they are probably getting in position for that.
  by nomis

red92s wrote: Presumably same work Geep with Hickory Creek and NYC 43 Tavern and Lounge. (Anyone know where those are going? Boonton?)
NYP @ 11:00pm