• The Maine Central Railroad Mountain Division

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by highgreen1

A little off-topic, but is it possible to recognize Bridgton Junction and is there an access road into the area? Has the area been too thoroughly transformed or can one see where the station was and the yard where the 2-foot gauge met the B&M? Is there anything left from that era? Directions from the nearby main road would be appreciated.
  by Mikejf

Highgreen, there are several wasys to get there. All involve walking. The best way I have found, is to come in from Route 113 & 5. Some logging was done there a few years ago and opened thing up really well, though the suckers have come up and taken over again. The leaves are out so the viewing may be tough.

If you are heading south on 113, about 1/4 mile past the intersection with Route 117 the river bends away from the road. On the right shortly there after, is a open spot on the right, where some old pavement may still be visible, where they had the log landing when they cut off the area. This is the old highway, that if you walk on it out through the woods will bring you to the Mountain Division, just below the Junction. ATVs have been using the road as a trail so it should be easy to recognize.

Once on the tracks, walk toward the river (north). Everything between the road and the river on the right hand side was the Junction. The graded roadbed areas are still visible with some posts left from the coal shed there too, along with lumps of coal.

The Station area is all flat, with the only way to be able to tell where it was is by the old telephone pole "stumps" that are left there.

The best time to view is when there is no leaves on the trees, but it can still be done any time of year. Good luck.
Mike
  by CVRA7

To add to Mike's report - I also highly recommend a visit to the area during the leaf-less season. There are a lot of evergreens in the area so you need all the help you can get to see things even in the late fall-early spring. It also should be noted that most of the B&SR yard area is below the Mt. Division grade level. My wife and I explored the area a few years back, think it was March. We found the turntable pit, location of the engine house, and the transfer area.
I've also been told that the Junction area is extremely tick-infested, another reason to visit during the colder months.
  by highgreen1

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate your information. We'll be heading up that way from Mass. to visit relatives in the Richville area of Standish - and I'll be looking forward to a side trip to Bridgton Jct.
  by gpcog

I have been staffing the Route 113 Corridor Committee since we formed the group back in 2004. The group is comprised of appointed representatives from the towns of Standish, Baldwin, Hiram, Brownfield and Fryeburg. The original impetus in getting together was (and still is) promoting regional economic development in the Upper Saco River Valley. If you have any questions about the committee or are interested in being on our mailing list, please e-mail me at [email protected]. Occassionally we have news, forums, meetings, etc. about the Mountain Division that we share via this list.
  by Cowford

cpcog, has the "Route 113 Corridor Committee" been the driving force behind the Mountain sub reactivation attempts, or has it been MDOT? There have been posts elsewhere on this forum implying that MDOT is only a reluctant supporter of such action.
  by gpcog

I would be doing a disservice to give a simple yes or no to that question. More than a decade ago, 22 organizations, including ours, banded together as the Mountain Division Alliance to persuade MaineDOT to purchase the line and develop a common vision for the corridor. Over time, a consensus emerged for a reactivated rail line enhanced with a recreational trail. This initial planning effort was fully funded by MaineDOT. Following that effort, trail sections continued to move forward on a town by town level through Transportation Enhancement funding from MaineDOT. The rail component of the vision, however, did not move forward. In 2004, we convened the towns, as regional planning commissions do, to respond to a request from our member community about how to promote economic development on a regional level. These towns, spanning the districts of three regional planning commissions, had never met before. Over time, reactivating the line emerged not only as a vital component of our economic development strategy, but as a strategy to meet other regional goals as well around recreation, business development, tourism, and the creative economy. The same can be said for the designation and development of Route 113 as the Pequawket Trail Scenic Byway, another one of our projects. There has been no road map to "move" things along. In the beginning, we saw other regions of the state bringing attention to big ideas, and we merely wanted to get on the radar screen of our elected officials. So we hosted a public forum in 2006 - 70 people from three states turned out for the event. Since then we have hosted other meetings and forums, and two years ago, a ceremony attended by 100 people to celebrate the purchase of the 5-mile section from Westbrook to Windham. Our five elected officials from the region, particularly Senator Diamond, have been instrumental in getting things done. MaineDOT staff have been solidly supportive. Nate Moulton is a local boy raised in Hiram. There are also a few folks in the private sector starting and expanding businesses who are spurring things along. And yes, when we start to feel left out of whatever is happening statewide, we do make some noise. The noise-making happens from folks and friends on the committee. If not for the vision and the hopes and dreams of the people in the region, we would not be out there doing this work. Where other committees in our service area have fizzled, this one continues, with minimal staff support. I would say that's because this is a project the local folks want to see happen as opposed to something that planners think is good for the region. If the Bond passes, MaineDOT has indicated they will lay down track from Westbrook to Windham. So our big challenge ahead is public outreach from Portland to Gorham. Yes, we asked ourselves many times, "If we build it, will they come?" As was mentioned a few pages back, any one element by itself won't make it work. But the whole corridor, together with the uses envisioned, holds tons of potential.
  by Cowford

gpcog, thanks for the quick response and insight.
  by NHN503

There was a local meeting in Fryeburg last night about the start of the northern end of the Rail with Trail.

http://www.infinews2.com/1002/cgi/cdsst ... 4501002581

Public hearing Tuesday on Fryeburg trail project

By Casey Conley
Reporter
[email protected]

FRYEBURG -- State transportation officials are hosting a public hearing Tuesday night at the Fryeburg Rescue Building to discuss a multi-use trail proposed along the defunct Mountain Division rail line.
The meeting, scheduled for 6 p.m., will offer residents a chance to learn more about the 1.4-mile trail before final plans are drawn up later this year, said Joel Kittredge, the project manager with Maine Department of Transportation...
  by Cowford

$800,000 to build a 1.4-mile walking trail? And people wonder why we have horrendous federal budget deficits... :(

Rather than build an adjacent trail, this should be a rail-to-trail project. The trail cost would drop significantly, the scrap proceeds could be used to offset, in part, the remaining cost and it would preclude the need to increase the footprint of the right-of-way. If... IF!... there is ever a need for another overhead freight line west out of Maine (about as likely as Fryeburg advocating the development of an oil refinery within the town borders), it would have to be thoroughly rebuilt anyway, and then you could put in an adjacent trail at that time.
  by Mikejf

I would rather see the money put into the roads. There is no way there is enough business long the corridor to justify the expense of laying 1 mile of rail, let alone 5, and having to rebuild the remainder. I am with cowford on this one.
  by rjones2

What would there be for possible business on the NH side?
I know there's a PIKE Industries located in Twin Mt. but can't think of anything else.
  by Cowford

Some have mentioned White Mountain Oil as a potential propane receiver. Potential traffic is probably 75 cars/year. Likelihood is slim-to-none. They already source propane from rail distribution centers in Rochester, NH and Auburn, ME in addition to Sea-3's import terminal in Newington, NH. Anything west of Conway could be served from the west as opposed to coming from Portland.
  by gpcog

Question 3, The Transportation Bond in Maine, has passed with 58% of the vote.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elec ... N=POLITICS

The bond includes a $4 million set aside for the Mountain Division. MaineDOT has indicated that they would use these funds to put the tracks back from Westbrook to Windam. If anyone is interested in the public outreach component of this effort, please contact me at [email protected]. Our Route 113 Corridor Committee does not include the towns east of Standish, so we are looking for rail champions to come out to public meetings in support of this project.