• The Amtrak Exhibit Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gregorygrice

On train 69 heading to ALB
  by fl9m2004

Really good video
I'm suprised why 522 didn't go with it on the north east corridor
  by gregorygrice

fl9m2004 wrote:Really good video
I'm suprised why 522 didn't go with it on the north east corridor
522 is in the NHV engine pool. Why use a diesel all the way to NYP when you have electrics?
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

any word on the the trains next plan? I know of White River Jct. in Sept.
  by runningwithscalpels

fl9m2004 wrote:I'm suprised why they don't send a new electric engine to
I'm sure the regular riders along the corridor would love to see what they look like
Plenty of them go to Boston these days, you can't actually be serious.
  by Sprinter611

Just read on GRS yahoo group that there will be a s**t load of stuff at the WRJ event. We got the exhibit train and Amtrak said they are trying to get 42 & 406 to make it, then Pan Am Railways said they'd bring their OCS for touring as well as both of their heritage units (ST 52 & ST 77) then NECR will be having a unit on display and the VTR will be doing excursions
  by runningwithscalpels

Essex got ripped off then: I heard the issue was 406 was shopped, and Amtrak couldn't manage to get 42 on it.

Dear Vermont: I'm jealous.
  by Sprinter611

The 406 was shopped but I heard that it will most likely be out of the shops in time for VT, and the situation with 42 was it was on the capital limited when it was supposed to be on the lake shore limited so they couldn't get it in time.
  by shadyjay

runningwithscalpels wrote:Essex got ripped off then: I heard the issue was 406 was shopped, and Amtrak couldn't manage to get 42 on it.
The event at Essex was not a railfan-oriented event as much as the WRJ (Vermont) event is. Essex is a steam train excursion which attracts mostly families. Believe me... I worked there from '93 to '02. The WRJ event , while billed as a family event, is being advertised, especially by ERN, as more of an event for railfans, between the night photography specials, extra-special visiting equipment (including Pan-Am's office car train and 2 heritage loco's), and the now free admission.

I don't think anyone at Essex was complaining that 406 wasn't part of the consist. Frankly, I was surprised to see photos of 822 there, since it had been in Downeaster service earlier in the week. I don't think Essex got ripped off at all. It was a visiting piece of equipment from a national railroad and to see it side-by-side with a "1920's" (actually, 1989-built) steam locomotive must've been something else. The majority of visitors at Essex last weekend were probably there mostly for the steam train ride, and the fact that the exhibit train was present was an added bonus. But I doubt anyone was ticked off without the "F40" being present. As a side note, the last Amtrak F40 to visit Essex was in 1995, with an MBTA F40 and commuter consist.
  by runningwithscalpels

I know, I was merely complaining for the sake of complaining ;)

I was going to go down there for it but I've already seen 822 so there was no point, and I went in the museum train when NTD was at GCT a few years ago. There are videos floating around Facebook of 3025 hauling it into Essex on Friday which I find greatly amusing (I would link, but at work - can't go on. Friends of the Valley Railroad group has it for sure though.)

I suspected 822 was going to be on it BECAUSE it was on the Downeaster, I don't think there's any other heritage units even remotely nearby.
  by ACeInTheHole

runningwithscalpels wrote:I know, I was merely complaining for the sake of complaining ;)

I was going to go down there for it but I've already seen 822 so there was no point, and I went in the museum train when NTD was at GCT a few years ago. There are videos floating around Facebook of 3025 hauling it into Essex on Friday which I find greatly amusing (I would link, but at work - can't go on. Friends of the Valley Railroad group has it for sure though.)

I suspected 822 was going to be on it BECAUSE it was on the Downeaster, I don't think there's any other heritage units even remotely nearby.
There wouldve been if 42 had been sent on the right train
  by DutchRailnut

Bottom line is : with exhibit train you don't look a given horse in mouth, aka Beggars can't be choosers etc etc.
  by Sprinter611

Amtrak Exhibit Train moving up to White River JCT through Bellows Falls VT at 6:30pm according to heritageunits.com. The power will be the Amtrak 145 & Amtrak 822. One question, once the event is done tomorrow, will the train go to Boston (WRJ-BOS via Palmer) or will the train go to New Haven or Albany (WRJ-Palmer-Springfield-New Haven) (WRJ-Palmer-ALB)? I'd like to see this train on the B&A on Sunday if it runs so....
  by CSX Conductor

Sprinter611 wrote:Amtrak Exhibit Train moving up to White River JCT through Bellows Falls VT at 6:30pm according to heritageunits.com. The power will be the Amtrak 145 & Amtrak 822. One question, once the event is done tomorrow, will the train go to Boston (WRJ-BOS via Palmer) or will the train go to New Haven or Albany (WRJ-Palmer-Springfield-New Haven) (WRJ-Palmer-ALB)? I'd like to see this train on the B&A on Sunday if it runs so....
I'm assuming that it will go back to Philadelphia by way of NECR to Palmer, CSXT west to Springfield and then Amtrak SPG Line to New Haven.
  by Backshophoss

145 has(or had)nose damage,might have been a wildlife strike when in ABQ last July,hopefully fixed by now. :wink: