• T inspectors to ticket fare evaders

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA3247

A new law allows inspectors to ticket those caught evading fares. According to this article, fines will be $15 for the first offense, $100 for the second, and $250 for subsequent violations. The T can also have the Registry of Motor Vehicles suspend the drivers' licenses of those who don't pay up.

The next part is disturbing, though: Riders can be arrested for not producing identification when requested by an inspector, regardless of whether they are suspected of not paying a fare. "Papers, please." :(

by Arborway

It would be nice if they started ticketing fare evaders.

B-Line is a constant "Come up and pay your fare" which is ignored by 100% of the people holding up (most likely empty) Charlie Cards entering through the rear door at stops w/o inspectors.

At the stations, the gates buzz but no one even looks twice.

by MassBayMC1131

i just heard about this! to stop fare evaders they should just have everyone enter through the front doors as usual..... they also should make all of the fare gates really tall.... my buddies always jump the ones at wollaston when the guy isnt looking lol. people do it all of the time but tryin to crack down on it would make the ride longer and more annoying for riders. being constantly stopped by a ticket checker would be kind of a pain.

by NealG

In many cases "Producing identification" may just mean identifying yourself. It could be worse; in Germany, train, subway and S-bahn systems have POP, people with no ticket are subject to an on-the-spot fine, usually around €40-50 .

by l008com

Suspending someone's drivers license sounds pretty shitty too.

by jrc520

Why would they suspend your driver's license? They may as well just post an officer at your door at that point - no reason to let you out of the house!

(there be sarcasm here - eds. )

by FatNoah

Why would they suspend your driver's license?
I believe the whole point is to encourage people to not evade paying fares and to encourage those who have been ticketed to pay up. I would say it's kinda like putting a "boot" on the cars of repeat parking ticket non-payers.

by gprimr1

They suspend your license for alot.

As for the second part, it is a little disturbing, but everyone really should have an ID.

by Robert Paniagua

I agree with license suspensions, that should get the offender to pay up the T citations for fare evasion.
  by captdpl

Hi all, new to the forum, coming from another aspect of the mass transit system: ferries! I was just reading this and I do agree with the policy about fare evasion for the most part, but I was wondering how one got to be an MBTA Inspector in the first place? Are they drivers/train operators that get promoted? What is their training like? I check the MBTA website for job openings from time to time and they only ever seem to be looking for management positions..never anything entry level and certainly never anything about Inspectors. Anyone know about how one moves up the ranks within the T?

by kether83

NealG wrote:In many cases "Producing identification" may just mean identifying yourself. It could be worse; in Germany, train, subway and S-bahn systems have POP, people with no ticket are subject to an on-the-spot fine, usually around €40-50 .
That's most European countries.. I was caught one night on the way home from a bar in Poland without a ticket. I was told to pay 90 PLN (about $25 US) or be arrested. I paid :o) The next day I bought a monthly pass though.

by StevieC48

I dont think the Inspectors and Chief Inspectors received their arresting powers, as they all had prior to 1989.I would assume that they would call the T PD to do the arresting, if it had come to that or a seriously unruly person refuseing to give them their info. Just rember they(the inspectors and chief inspectors) are not an Officer if the Law so you shouldnt get in too much trouble if you were to be dumb and give false info to the person.It is a crime to give false info to an officer of the law.So I asume that they have a provision that spells it out if they get "wrong "info.

by ags

kether83 wrote:
NealG wrote:In many cases "Producing identification" may just mean identifying yourself. It could be worse; in Germany, train, subway and S-bahn systems have POP, people with no ticket are subject to an on-the-spot fine, usually around €40-50 .
That's most European countries.. I was caught one night on the way home from a bar in Poland without a ticket. I was told to pay 90 PLN (about $25 US) or be arrested. I paid :o) The next day I bought a monthly pass though.
In the USA, fortunately or unfortunately, due process makes an on-the-spot paid fine impossible.

by dm84

ags wrote:
kether83 wrote:
In the USA, fortunately or unfortunately, due process makes an on-the-spot paid fine impossible.
Or even worse they can arrest you for bribery just for trying.

by StevieC48

I understand due process however that has to be in presense of a Law Enforcement Officer or Court Officer.The Inspectors and Chiefs are neither the last time I looked in the books.But they might get away with it because its on private property.This shoud be an intresting one.Got the pop corn ready and the 44oz of Pepsi?