• T inspectors to ticket fare evaders

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

I dont think the Inspectors and Chief Inspectors received their arresting powers, as they all had prior to 1989.

Well, they should have those full arresting powers back like in the 1980s and earlier. I don't know why in 1990 it was outlawed for inspectors and their Captains to lock up people in T property.

by rhodiecub2

Has anyone read this article?

http://www.transithistory.org/charlie/

There seems to be a total lack of patrolling in the Newton section of the "D" line and people seem to be getting a free ride there. :(

by StevieC48

The Inspectors and Chiefs and Instructors lost their powers because the T PD wanted more officers to the force.So they took the powers from the Inst,Cheif & Inspectors.

by Charles_Bowdoin

I know it's crazy, but this is why I think the T should have all stations in fare control areas. No hassle for passengers, all doors can be opened. I know it's crazy, but it would be so much easier.

by ags

If the T ever does the right thing and bury the green line, the problem is solved.

by Arborway

Charles_Bowdoin wrote:I know it's crazy, but this is why I think the T should have all stations in fare control areas. No hassle for passengers, all doors can be opened. I know it's crazy, but it would be so much easier.
Except for the fact that is not even within the realm of possibility.

Even if you had the space, you still have the problem of the side of the platform facing the track. People could just walk a few steps down the track and into the paid area without any problems. Putting gates on the trackside that open when a train arrives would be an alignment nightmare each time a car pulled in.

Furthermore, the current fare gates are impossibly easy to bypass, and you would basically leave entire stations to operate on the honor system.

I'd love to see how something like this would work at stations like Chiswick:

by jamesinclair

Arborway wrote:
Charles_Bowdoin wrote:I know it's crazy, but this is why I think the T should have all stations in fare control areas. No hassle for passengers, all doors can be opened. I know it's crazy, but it would be so much easier.
Except for the fact that is not even within the realm of possibility.

Even if you had the space, you still have the problem of the side of the platform facing the track. People could just walk a few steps down the track and into the paid area without any problems. Putting gates on the trackside that open when a train arrives would be an alignment nightmare each time a car pulled in.

Furthermore, the current fare gates are impossibly easy to bypass, and you would basically leave entire stations to operate on the honor system.

I'd love to see how something like this would work at stations like Chiswick:

It could have easily been done if all cars were high platform, and you had to go up into a high platofrm to board, and pay on entrance.

The classic example is the system in Curitiba, Brazil, which uses buses with fare-conttrolled stops.

Fully wheelchair accesible too.

Its much too late for the MBTA to do that though.

The only other option would be in stations like Coolridge Corner, where the entire platform is large enough to be closed off, with fare gates to enter. People couldnt walk in through the tracks because of sliding doors which are found in most modern metro systems.