• Subway Delay Reports and Discussion (2011-2017)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by The EGE

Disney Guy wrote:
The EGE wrote:The stairs at Fenway station are closed until further notice (too rusted for safety), and they don't seem to be hurrying along on fixing them. I guess we have another South Attleboro...
They figure they can let everyone use the route that persons in wheelchairs might use to access the station.
Hmmm ... If the D line gets bustituted for some irregularity in that area in the near future, would the buses load and unload a little further to the south, away from the stairs and nearer the parking lot entrance?
They actually bused from Kenmore for this exact reason last week. The MBTA website is now saying they will only be out of service until July 10.
  by Cosmo

csor2010 wrote:B branch suspended between Kenmore & Packards this afternoon due to pieces of the Comm. Ave. bridge falling onto the Turnpike.
Amplifying info? News story? Link?
  by deathtopumpkins

Cosmo wrote:
csor2010 wrote:B branch suspended between Kenmore & Packards this afternoon due to pieces of the Comm. Ave. bridge falling onto the Turnpike.
Amplifying info? News story? Link?
http://www.wcvb.com/news/green-line-b-b ... e/34100990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And courtesy of WCVB's Facebook page: https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 9961_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by csor2010

Yeah sorry about that, should've linked to something. For what it's worth, MassDOT has been repairing the substructure (piers/abutments) of this bridge for the past year and is scheduled to replace the deck and girders next August, so at least repairs are in the pipeline.
  by Cosmo

Thanks for the links! Yeah, it looks as bad as it sounded.
  by sery2831

3856 lead truck (and center?) derailed near Longwood today due to a rail condition.
  by Yellowspoon

There was a derailment at Longwood, eastbound, at about 4pm on Sunday. After two disabled train announcements at Kenmore, I decided to walk to Longwood arriving at 5:05. Several trucks and about a dozen employees were surveying the situation.

As best I can figure, the front axle of the middle truck of a type-8 derailed just before Longwood Station. My hunch is that the left wheel jumped the track, but the edge of the right wheel remained on the track as the train entered Longwood. Each flange cut a groove in the pavement of the pedestrian crossings. I believe the operator was unaware of any problem. The train was only about 50m past the station when the right wheel probably left the track and the train came to a halt.

By 5:30, re-railing equipment had been hauled to the train. It took them 10 minutes to set up the equipment and test the compressors. Then they shut the equipment off and waited. I don't know what they were doing for the next 80 minutes, but there was a lot of waiting for something. Finally, at 7pm, they started to re-rail the train. It took them 15 minutes. I didn't stick around to watch them dismantle the equipment.

D trains were routed to Riverside via Coolidge Corner. Busses replaced trains from Fenway to Reservoir. I don't know when (or if) normal service resumed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by deathtopumpkins

D trains were routed to Riverside via Coolidge Corner.
You mean they actually used the track connection between the C and D for revenue service!?
  by bostontrainguy

Second derailment of an 8 in about a week. Both involved the center truck and both were on straight rail. The other was on the BC line between Sutherland and Washington.

Here we go again?
  by Bramdeisroberts

bostontrainguy wrote:Second derailment of an 8 in about a week. Both involved the center truck and both were on straight rail. The other was on the BC line between Sutherland and Washington.

Here we go again?
And yet the T specced the exact same center bogie layout for the 9's!
  by BostonUrbEx

Perhaps they need to reprofile the rails again.
  by Yellowspoon

I stand corrected. The below photograph is of the pedestrian crossing, at the east end of the station taken Monday morning. That center truck must be extremely light as the flange ran up the pavement (rather than tearing through the pavement). It's quite obvious that the wheel could not have been on the rail at this time. I'm assuming the person sitting over these wheels got quite a bump, even at 10mph. The train did not halt for another 50m.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by The EGE

deathtopumpkins wrote:
D trains were routed to Riverside via Coolidge Corner.
You mean they actually used the track connection between the C and D for revenue service!?
Yes indeed. I was on an inbound D that left Riverside around 6:55. We got to Reservoir about 7:10, waited a bit for another train to clear, and were in Cleveland Circle around 7:20. A very slow ride but some interesting accidental rare mileage.
  by sery2831

bostontrainguy wrote:Second derailment of an 8 in about a week. Both involved the center truck and both were on straight rail. The other was on the BC line between Sutherland and Washington.

Here we go again?
Not exactly. This D Line derailment started with the lead axle. And the track had an issue, speed and the vehicle were not the cause. Lets not spread misinformation.