• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by merrman

Anyone know the status of the Lewiston Jct IM facility. The gates are closed and locked; and there
'is a 40 foot box trailer parked sideways blocking the driveway, with just enough room for a car
or pickup to get through.
  by Mikejf

Interesting development. But I think I have seen this in the past when they are closed. Might be their way of keeping the containers there while no one is around. So a truck driver doesn't hook up top a trailer and leave without them knowing. Keep us informed.

Mike
  by Dick H

The St. Lawrence & Atlantic Yahoo Group has vanished from the web.
While not a very active list, there were occasional posts of SLR activity.
Yahoo has been known to drop groups without warning or explanation.
Anyone have any info on why the group was dropped?
  by thebigham

^So that's the group that left my page!

The owner could have decided to delete it.
  by toolmaker

The last message from the group was the new mailing list. That was November 16, 2010.

Gary
  by BR4

I understand that SLR recently outsourced their dispatching to RailTerm in Rutland. The
ownwer of the SLR yahoo list was a SLR dispatcher. Could this have anything to do with
the list disappearing?
  by Mikejf

Sounds like the SLR had a fire today involving a boom truck or other hi-rail type truck in Bethel, Me. Something was mentioned on the scanner about high tension wires also. Fire and Rescue responded and said the truck was fully involved. I am unsure of injuries. More info to follow if I can find/get it.

Mike
  by Mikejf

It was a four door type hy-rail truck. The crew was out in front of it working on the track when apparently the back of it either caught fire or exploded. Right under some power lines. No injuries.

Mike
  by Reader#108

No injuries is the most important thing....good bad or indifferent......do these guys ever run during the day? I was at the Gorham Historical Society last week and they said that they seem to only run at night?
  by Mikejf

Through freights have been running at night.Usually leaving Lewiston Junction shortly after 9pm and returning in the early morning hours, usually before 6 am. Only thing during the day is the locals and the extras.

Mike
  by gokeefe

Does this incident meet a threshold or requirement that would precipate an NTSB investigation?

Specifically I'm thinking of factors a) railroad owned equipment, b) operating on railroad right of way (specifically a main line), c) incident that is potentially fatal or endangers non-railroad private property.

If this didn't involve a railroad I could certainly understand if this is just a relatively routine investigation for either the Oxford County Sheriff or the Maine State Police.

[Edited for spelling]
Last edited by gokeefe on Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by merrman

It seems that the SLR has not run 393-394 for over a week now. At least on the US end. Another
site notes that locals still seem to be running around Auburn. Haven't heard why.
  by Mikejf

I have been hearing them get dispatched to leave Lewiston Junction (393) around 9 or 9:30 at night. Usually through West Paris by 10:30 as I can hear the train climb the hill from here. I don't recall the last night I heard them, Thursday or Friday. Last Saturday morning, April 23, 394 was passing through South Paris at around 2:30 am. If they go tonight and I hear, I will post.

Mike