• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by NRGeep

And the Iowa corn ethanol lobby will no doubt have politicians Left and Right grovelling before them in the 2012 outsized presidential primary there. As for biofuels, what about algae? It's a gift that keeps giving and freight rr's could easily convert to ship that instead of the corn boondogle.
  by Watchman318

NRGeep wrote:It's a gift that keeps giving and freight rr's could easily convert to ship that instead of the corn boondogle.
Yep. I've often wondered why the U.S. isn't building more facilities like Arizona Public Service's Redhawk power plant, where carbon dioxide from the stack is fed to algae. A good use for what otherwise would just be more "greenhouse gas."
(No, I am not an Algoreian. Just ask my Ole Lady. :razz:)
Growth Rates of Emission-Fed Algae Show Viability of New Biomass Crop

And so we don't drag this too far off-topic ;-), what type of car is used to ship algae by rail?
  by NRGeep

Watchman318 wrote:
NRGeep wrote:It's a gift that keeps giving and freight rr's could easily convert to ship that instead of the corn boondogle.
Yep. I've often wondered why the U.S. isn't building more facilities like Arizona Public Service's Redhawk power plant, where carbon dioxide from the stack is fed to algae. A good use for what otherwise would just be more "greenhouse gas."
(No, I am not an Algoreian. Just ask my Ole Lady. :razz:)
Growth Rates of Emission-Fed Algae Show Viability of New Biomass Crop

And so we don't drag this too far off-topic ;-), what type of car is used to ship algae by rail?
I believe they use the Algae Crumpler cars. Sorry, couldn't resist! Um, in it's final form as fuel, it seems it could be used by any standard tank car it seems?
btw: Nice link, I wonder how far they have come with this since the press release in '07.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>>As for biofuels, what about algae?

Probably you've seen the Mobil TV ad where your friendly neighborhood eco-scientist prattles on about how his college professor invited him to help "change the world" by growing algae as a fuel. In 1975. The ad goes on to explain that they they are now building a bigger research facility. Am I the only person who is wondering what the **** have they been doing for the past thirty-five years?

PBM
  by Watchman318

NRGeep wrote:I believe they use the Algae Crumpler cars. Sorry, couldn't resist!
I don't get the joke, but I laughed anyway. "I don't care who you are, that there is funny." :-D
Um, in it's final form as fuel, it seems it could be used by any standard tank car it seems?
Yeah, the biodiesel part is tank car material, I just wondered about the "green goo" phase. (Yech; never mind.)
btw: Nice link, I wonder how far they have come with this since the press release in '07.
I didn't find any links much newer than that. I first found out about the Redhawk plant via a Modern Marvels episode on the History Channel. I think that show was called "Green Tech." Dunno how old it is.

I think I saw something that said New England gets enough sunlight for that technology to work here.
  by atsf sp

Where are they heADED
  by BM6569

Not sure. The SLR markings were covered but I didn't see any other reporting marks on either engine.

Warren
  by thebigham

How old are the SW1s?
  by Dick H

According to Kalmbach's Shortline Railway Guide 5th edition,
the 31 was built in 5/49 and the 41 was built in 7/48.
  by markhb

Watchman318 wrote:
NRGeep wrote:I believe they use the Algae Crumpler cars. Sorry, couldn't resist!
I don't get the joke, but I laughed anyway. "I don't care who you are, that there is funny." :-D
Allow me to present Mr. Alge Crumpler.
  by Mikejf

I read on another forum the pair are headed to Waterville for use by Pan Am as shop switchers.

Mike
  by thebigham

^Yes.

Rick:

It is being reported on NERAIL that the two locos have been bought by PAR, one
for service and one for parts. Seems like they need a shorter loco to move the
recently acquired 20 six-axle units when moving them around on the transfer
table at the Waterville shop.
  by schwab21

I chased 393 from Auburn to Berlin, and 394 back last night and early this morning. 393 had 803, 3803, QGRY 3102, 3804, 804, and 71 cars (324 axles). Crew was on duty at 2100 at Lewiston Jct. 393 arrived at Berlin at 0145. 394 was out of Island Pond at 0115. "The meet" was made at Berlin at 0400, both trains on the move by 0420. 394 (with 3805, 805, 806, 3806, and 3206, 42 cars) set off 11 in South Paris, and was back into Lewiston Jct. at 0800! What a night!
  by BR4

The 2 SW-1's finally departed Danville Jct yesterday (Wed) about noon on the tail end of a PAR eastbound.