• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

ALcocentury wrote:Its too bad,a bldg. of its historical value,couldn't be used/supported by a model railroad club,again if enough supporters lived in the area.Too many ifs,just don't like to see them disappear,a loss of character trackside. Happy Holidays to all
I seem to recall somebody had an interest in the Chemung depot but they couldn't enough money together to save it.
  by Matt Langworthy

One day before Mike's outing, I caught 38T and 13T heading eastbound at CP Cass:

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m231 ... CP%20Cass/

All photos in the sub-album were taken by me Friday 12/28/2012 in Hornell, NY.
  by K4Pacific

What's with the 26G? There are loaded autoracks all over Gang Mills - Two solid sets and a loooong cut for 13T.
  by Matt Langworthy

Is NS adding an auto rack train to the Tier?
  by conrailsharedassets

K4,

From what I was told the 26G's were supposedly storage cars for the New Baker Street Yard. I guess with the massive decrease in gas related traffic, the new yard has no business and will be used for storage (at least that is what I have heard). However, if you are reporting the autoracks are indeed loaded then that would not make sense to be storing them.

They have run two so far, NS 26G-29 and NS 26G-01. Both of which were tyed down around Gang Mills.

Jim Cerulli
cprsunburysub yahoo group Owner
  by Missyg24

Matt Langworthy wrote:Is NS adding an auto rack train to the Tier?
Last i knew NS Wanted a Trailer loading location in Elmira. That was 5 yrs ago i heard... Location exactly was next to the old Sears & Roebuck building on Magee St.
  by Missyg24

Matt Langworthy wrote:
ALcocentury wrote:Its too bad,a bldg. of its historical value,couldn't be used/supported by a model railroad club,again if enough supporters lived in the area.Too many ifs,just don't like to see them disappear,a loss of character trackside. Happy Holidays to all
I seem to recall somebody had an interest in the Chemung depot but they couldn't enough money together to save it.
Chemung Valley Railway Historical Society. friend of mine runs it. they could not get it due to:
NS not letting negotiations to start

I grew up in Elmira sad site to see it gone
Last edited by Missyg24 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Missyg24

scottychaos wrote:The Erie Railroad's Chemung NY station is no more..
drove by today and noticed it was gone..Not sure exactly when it was torn down, sometime in the last month probably.
(I usually glance at it when I drive by on route 17, and I *think* it was still there on Thanksgiving, seems I would have noticed then if it wasn't.)
But its definitely gone now..
Scot

Station torn down over the summer, NS wanted it gone due to the land agreement with the family that owned the land was almost over. friend of mine told me about it over the summer sad, the Chemung Valley Railway Historical Society wanted to buy it and move it someplace safe. NS wouldnt wait.
  by Matt Langworthy

Missyg24 wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Station torn down over the summer, NS wanted it gone due to the land agreement with the family that owned the land was almost over. friend of mine told me about it over the summer sad, the Chemung Valley Railway Historical Society wanted to buy it and move it someplace safe. NS wouldnt wait.
Sad, sad, sad. :(

I used to see it when my family would drive down to see my maternal grandmother in Waverly.
  by Missyg24

sad indeed, theres a few left in orig place in the area.
Horseheads (2), Watkins Glen, Elmira, Ithaca (2), Sayre.
  by Matt Langworthy

Missyg24 wrote:sad indeed, theres a few left in orig place in the area.
Horseheads (2), Watkins Glen, Elmira, Ithaca (2), Sayre.
Also in the Southern Tier: Avoca, Campbell, Cohocton, Hammondsport, Hornell, Owego, Painted Post and Wayland. Most of them are next to active tracks, except for H'port and Painted Post.
  by RussNelson

SteelRail wrote:In summary - NS single tracked from Binghamton to Waverly with a siding at Owego and Waverly. The change took place last fall, and NS has been removinjg rail and ties since. With bi-directional signals, the line is running 50mph both ways. Capacity is said to be 24 trains / day now.
I'm trying to update OpenStreetMap, and while I can see the track gone on some aerial photos, it's still there on other photos. I live about 4 hours north of there, so it's not a trivial visit. Do you know exactly where the 2nd track is lifted? I can see it's gone through most of Endicott, and I have it marked as such. But I couldn't guess where the siding begins and ends in Waverly or Owego.
  by SteelRail

RussNelson wrote:
SteelRail wrote:In summary - NS single tracked from Binghamton to Waverly with a siding at Owego and Waverly. The change took place last fall, and NS has been removinjg rail and ties since. With bi-directional signals, the line is running 50mph both ways. Capacity is said to be 24 trains / day now.
I'm trying to update OpenStreetMap, and while I can see the track gone on some aerial photos, it's still there on other photos. I live about 4 hours north of there, so it's not a trivial visit. Do you know exactly where the 2nd track is lifted? I can see it's gone through most of Endicott, and I have it marked as such. But I couldn't guess where the siding begins and ends in Waverly or Owego.
Tier is single tracked from milepost 217 (just west of route 201 bridge) to milepost 231 (alongside Hickories Park in Owego). The siding runs from 231 to 233, just east of the old Erie station in Owego.
  by RussNelson

SteelRail wrote:Tier is single tracked from milepost 217 (just west of route 201 bridge) to milepost 231 (alongside Hickories Park in Owego). The siding runs from 231 to 233, just east of the old Erie station in Owego.
AHA! Now that you say that, I can see the switch which begins the siding at 231 on the Bing Maps. Google is still out of date. They just pulled out enough rails to be able to put the switch in.