• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by century430

I, too, appreciate hearing any info given. I concur with the last poster about not having things ruined. Some of you may recall that a few years ago, maybe more like 10, Rudy Husband, one of NS' Public Relations employees, regularly used to post information until enough people got on his case and he just stopped. Sometimes we get a bit too "eager" anmd think we are owed an explanation.

Anyway, in time we will find out what's going to go on with the eastern part of the Tier.

Jim Rowland
  by northjerseybuff

I did not attack K4 indirectly. I stated the facts. I cursed at and thats ok? yea ok
  by poppyl

I could be mistaken, but I doubt that K4 will post on this thread (and perhaps the entrie forum) again.

Poppyl
  by sd80mac

northjerseybuff wrote:I did not attack K4 indirectly. I stated the facts. I cursed at and thats ok? yea ok
dont forget that u have been giving negative attitude on everything else too... look at your previous posts. that turned me off as well as k4 too..
  by northjerseybuff

negative or frustrated? I am going on facts. Go back and look for yourself. "late 2010-early 2011" not my quote. Dec meeting report never was made. I feel frustrated for all that has not come to fruition. Does it warrant me being cursed at? I'm a history person, I go on facts and only facts not speculation or opinion. Curse at me all you want, make it into a riddle. Facts are no trains on the east end as of March 10th 2011. Carry on
PS-I also did enjoy his reports! K4 don't punish the group on my posts. I will lurk. I'm done. I want NS trains, I go to the middle division!
see you all trackside. This is my last post on here
  by Jtgshu

It might be time for a reminder to EVERYONE that things can change, and change quickly. Those of us in the industry know MUCH more than we can share on lots of different things, thats common in any industry, but not too many have such devoted followers as railroading and railfans, and of course, message boards and newsgroups where info spreads like wildfire....

Can't always go by the "facts" - this is an industry just like any other industry and has insider info and stuff that might not seem important to an outsider, but to those in the industry can mean the difference inbetween landing a big contract or loosing it, or souring relations inbetween those working on something for the railroad and or the shipper. Of course jobs and careers can be threatened as well by giving out some seemingly innocent info as well - something also to keep in mind....railfans are NOT the only folks that read these boards, RR.net in particular, as well as the various Yahoo groups.

I think its obvious that K4 has shared what he is able to and willing to share over the course of the last several months. NOTHING on the railroad EVER goes according to plan, and things might have changed, and can't be shared right now.....

Its obvious something is going on and half the fun is the speculation of what might and could be, and trying to put the nuggets of info given and what is observed and trying to put the puzzle together! At least it is to me.......

don't bite the hand that feeds you, no matter how little it might be or seem at the time......just saying

back to your regularly scheduled programing...... :)
  by SemperFidelis

To back up the post above this one:

There is a group of shortline railroads in Pennsylvania aboard whom I will NEVER ship a load of my materials because someone from those railroads decided to take information that I gave to him while conducting business and let it out into the railfan world. That is a loss of the revenue generated by hundreds of carloads a month. This doesn't only hurt the owner of that company, but everyone down to the children of the men and women who move the freight and hammer in the spikes.

As a railfan, I understand the desire to know as much as possible, because I love the industry, my father loves the industry, and most of all my little boys love the industry. Pretty much anything that has to do with trains is of interest to me and them.

As a shipper, I don't want the information gleaned from confidential meetings to be broadcast across an easily accessible internet because: A) it was supposed to be confidential - and - b) both me and my competitors use pages like this for recon, hoping to gain an edge by hearing the "loose lips".
  by Matt Langworthy

It is also important to remember that there federal laws that cover what an employee of a publicly trade company (i.e. that issues shares of stock) can divulge. K4 may have wanted to tell us what was/is happening but it may very well be that a company official invoked Sarbanes-Oxley, preventing him from disclosing what is going to happen. If NS can figure out a way to relieve the congestion on the Lehigh Line, that will make it a more efficient operation and thus raise the value of its stock. I'd hate to see K4 get nailed by either his employer or the federales for giving us details of forthcoming NS improvemnts when he shouldn't.

It may also be that NS's internal deicision process is muddled and murky. For all we know, there may be factions within NS fighting over whether the Erie should be redeveloped or not. There may also be infighting about who would be in charge of those improvements. Heck, there might even be obstacles from NJT or even Suzie-Q. Before anyone judges K4, let him/her answer those questions.

I suspect there's alot that K4 can't tell us, so IMO we should let him tell us what's going on when and where he is allowed. Otherwise, we're just killing the goose laying the proverbial golden eggs.
  by thannon

Getting off topic, but it won't be the first time the board kills a source of information by trolling it to death. It isn't life threatening - give K4 the time.
  by Matt Langworthy

Matt Langworthy wrote:Before anyone judges K4, let him/her answer those questions.
Just a quick point of clarification- by him/her, I am referring to those posters who are not in agreement with K4. I am not demanding the answers of K4.

BTW, given some of the comments made by K4 in both of the Southern Tier threads (e.g. looking for a site for a spur), it should be pretty obvious that he works in the industry and is not just a casual observer.
  by SemperFidelis

K4 is a good guy and is attached to a certain part of "the industry". He and I actually do a good deal of business together, with his input being a very large part of my business' present success. I'd stake some decent money on his integrity and decency.
  by K4Pacific

This is a personal apology from me for my poor taste in comments. A very bad day was at hand and I usually like to unwind by entering in to valid discussions. I hope you will accept my apology. I'm sorry. Moving on.

CP is now hiring conductors out of Binghamton for its Southern traffic and Binghamton to Saratoga traffic. This could be moved to another spot, but I don't know where. The deadlone is the 15th of all things.

Again, the east end will come alive. Let's remember that the 1958 consolidation of routings between Binghamton and Corning was in negotiations beginning in 1955. Perry Shoemaker. Then the EL east end traffic flow patterns begun by White took 3 years to enact in the 60s.

Buffalo Bison is set and ready. The biggest piece is Mechanicsville. Until that comes on line, traffic flows will not be in effect. The first set of trainees from December are out on the rail. Can someone look into the delays at Mechanicsville?

Again, I'm sorry. BTW. I do have a degree in Speech Communication Broadcast Journalism and partied with Carl Ravitch, Mike Hyland, and (dare I say) Greg Catlin. WBNG. Never made a dime.
  by northjerseybuff

K4-I apologize as well man! You ARE the man with good reports. Its been such a LOOOOOOONG time since the east end hasn't seen a real train. Sorry for being impatient. I know you are a credible source and your information is valid. I never doubt your knowledge. I do understand that rr time is different then "normal" time. Again, lets focus on this as a hobby.
I will buy you a cold one at a B-Mets game and we can watch the tier from the stands!
  by K4Pacific

B-Mets and beer! Especially when they roll.

Now I need info on why Mechancisville is behind as this is the piece for the East End. I need confirmation that it's related to EPA and NYSDEC Phase 1 and 2 soil remediation from all the great BM years. Would I go under New England Railfan?