• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by century430

All will be made clear once K4Pacific informs us of the union meeting results.

Is anyone aware of any MOW work planned on the Tier east of Binghamton this year by NYSW?

JJR
  by SecaucusJunction

Looks like NS is hiring track workers in Buffalo, Binghamton, and Croxton as well... maybe that will be a good omen for the Tier.
  by northjerseybuff

i'm still waiting for the dec meeting update. You think you will get a report from wed? ha fool me once, and won't get fooled again. Keep hoping for trains guys and a report. lol
  by SemperFidelis

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...(awkward glance at camera and chuckle to reporters)...well you can't get fooled again."
  by jadams02

From Railway Age. This kind of investment and rebound in container traffic with continued growth will help support the inland port strategy.

NY-NJ port to expand ExpressRail
Tuesday, March 08, 2011

After experiencing near-record container traffic in 2010, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey announced that it will invest $283 million in 2011 to upgrade the port road network, enhance the existing ExpressRail System, and continue its program to deepen the port’s channels to 50 feet.

The ExpressRail System is a $600 million program that has created dedicated rail facilities, along with additional yards, at major container terminals in Elizabeth and Newark, N.J. and the New York City Borough of Staten Island. The agency also is continuing the development of the Global Container Terminal in Jersey City to accommodate future growth and is expanding the capacity of the cross-harbor rail barge float operation between Brooklyn and Jersey City. It also plans to develop the Greenville Yards in Jersey City.

The Port Authority said cargo volumes rose 16% in 2010. Total container traffic was 5,292,020 loaded and empty TEUs (20-foot equivalent units), compared with 4,561,527 in 2009. The number of TEUs was slightly below the 5,299,105 in 2007, which was an annual record for the port.

Total bulk cargo exports decreased by 3.3%, from 9.4 million metric tons in 2009 to 9.1 million metric tons in 2010.

The port handles approximately 31% of all East Coast cargo.
  by SecaucusJunction

When I spoke to one of the heads of the rail at NYCT last year, he said they'd be expanding their rail yard within 3 years or whenever it was needed. Maybe that time has come earlier than they thought.

With higher gas prices and fewer port rail fees, expressrail is poised to take off this year. NS can't fit any more on the Lehigh (which is probably one big reason why CSX seems to be crushing them in the NY market). So they'll either have to expand or risk losing even a greater percentage of shipments to their competition.
  by SemperFidelis

Off Topic

Is there a reason the old tunnel at Pattenburg can't be notched and used for double stacks? Is it simply too old/small?
  by northjerseybuff

1 week later..no report, no news and no trains..carry on
  by chuxter26

For the record the Pattenburg tunnel was single tracked in Conrails latter years to handle double stacks.
  by K4Pacific

FU Jersey No Reports from K4 Anymore. KMA. Roger that.
  by K4Pacific

NS Planning Tom Washbon, Bing Union Div. NS Mark Krukowski. You chase it Soprano!
  by northjerseybuff

wow..K4 such hostility. I am probing for info as my hobby. why so serious man? the dec meeting report never did come..just sayin'
  by SecaucusJunction

Oy, Not smart...

Now would probably be a good time to remind everyone that K4 gives these reports and information as a favor to us, not because he is obligated to in any way. If he hasn't given information, there is probably a very good reason why. I'm guessing there is a difference between everything you know and everything you can say in a railroad forum.

I, for one, appreciate K4's interesting facts and hope that he will continue to post here again. He is one of the only people here with any true inside information regarding the Southern Tier.
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:Oy, Not smart...

Now would probably be a good time to remind everyone that K4 gives these reports and information as a favor to us, not because he is obligated to in any way. If he hasn't given information, there is probably a very good reason why. I'm guessing there is a difference between everything you know and everything you can say in a railroad forum.

I, for one, appreciate K4's interesting facts and hope that he will continue to post here again. He is one of the only people here with any true inside information regarding the Southern Tier.

I do too... I think what njbuff said was not only uncalled for, but could also be construed as a "indirect personal attack" on K4.
I come to realize these things take time and nothing is ever fast with the railroad.....I hope one little poster didn't ruin a good thing for all of us!

Keep up the good work K4pacific.!