• Something must be wrong - they're doing smart things!!!

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

After reading this thread, I tried to pay more attention today on my evening rush hour local, as to the number of tickets cut, how long it took, and the types cut.

Compared to yesterday, I only cut 2 tickets yesterday, but the trian was spotted in a way an on an "odd" track in NYP, so that the front car and a half which i woudl work wasn't real crowded, and those who treked up there are the regulars with their monthlies. Today, we are on much more of a "normal" track in NYP, and had our "normal" loading where no one particular section of the train was overcrowded, and one section light, but the entire thing was crowded pretty evenly.

I cut a good number of step ups today, 6 or 7, but also had a few terminal fees, 2 extensions of journeys, and i think it was 2 whole tickets to sell. Pretty typical, but a few more step ups than usual. But by Newark, me and the next trainmen, who split the head three cars, were done, with the initial lift out of NYP, and that is about as much as you can do with cutting tickets, etc is about a car and 1/2 between NYP and SEC. If you don't need to do any tickets, adn everyone has their monthlies, then 2 cars can be done per person by Newark Penn (1 by SEC, 1 between SEC and Nwk) But this can really vary form day to day, with the amount of travelers, delay of other trains, and how many people get on your train, the status of the mahcines upstairs, and other outside events. EWR is a real killer with on board tickets oftentimes, with 9.55 tickets being cut left and right.

NJT is making much money on the evenign rush, as now people pay for the trip wit one ways, where before, people would simply have RTX's, and be done with it. The evening rush does make sense, because why would you charge people extra in the morning, but not in the afternoon. I don't work mornings, but I would imagine that the adding of the evenign rush cut down on the number of step ups cut on morning rush trains.

I think that NJT should just do a better job explaining the rush periods to people, do back to the old way in the time tables where Rush hour trains were shaded, and put like I stated, the times the tickets are valid and not valid right on the tickets themselves.

by Lakini717

I don't know if this was mentioned already but for the first time in almost 6 or 7 years the ACL schedule has changed somewhat. Several of the morning trains, both AC and PHL bound have been changed between 10-15 mins. I don't know what the purpose of this change is but I guess there is some reason for it. Some people will probably have a hard time getting used to the changes as it has been such a long time since the last change. I'm sure many people, such as myself have the whole schedule memorized.